Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Error 9128 Running out of CPU power

When working with virtual instruments in Pro Tools 10, I'm starting to get error 9128 "You are running out of CPU power. Remove some Native plug-ins or increase the CPU usage limit in the Playback engine dialog". This happens when working with midi and virtual instruments. With just one virtual instrument assigned, this error occurs. I primarily use virtual instruments from UVI with UVI Workstation, Goliath from East-West, and VI.ONE from Vir2 Instruments. I increased the processors from 1 to 4 and then to 8 in the playback engine, but the error continues to appear. This error did not always occur, but has appeared more frequently in recent months.This is a dedicated machine for Pro Tools only, so not much of anything else running on it.

Specs:
Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.5 ghz, 4 core, 8 processor, 16 gb ram. Pro Tools 10.3.8 installed on a 1 tb 7200 rpm drive, all plug-ins on separate 1 tb drive 7200 rpm drive

Current Playback Engine Settings:
h/w buffer: 512
Host Processors: 8
CPU Usage Limit: 90%
Delay Compensation Engind: Long
Plug-in Streaming Buffer: Level 2
Optimize is not checked

Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Error 9128 Running out of CPU power

set host processors to 7. CPU to 99%.

You need to leave one processor to run the OS.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 PM

I dropped the processors from 8 to 7, but results are still the same. I had originally moved processors from 1 to 4 to 8. This is really confusing that it is suddenly a major issue. I opened numerous sessions earlier today that were created over the past year that all worked fine, but now all get the same error, some in as few as 1 note.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Look up... at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link

What has changed? OS updates? Pro Tools or Plugin updates?

Where is your Sandra report?

What interface? What exact driver version? (make clear if you are using an ASIO compliant driver for the interface or are using ASIO4ALL).

Is your system fully optimized?

What standard trouble shooting have you done?

Trashed prefs and databases?

Does this only affect one session? have you tried a new empty session (not a copy, not from template and pasted some midi into that to play with the VIs).

Tried temp. removing all third party plugins from the RTAS and AAX plugin folders to see if you can get Pro Tools stable. Put them back in batches until it has problems?

Are you using any known problematic "denormaizing" sensitive plugins like Sansamp?

What do the Pro Tools CPU meters show? Then don't look at them again...

When you say "Pro Tools 10.3.8 installed on a 1 tb 7200 rpm drive, all plug-ins on separate 1 tb drive 7200 rpm drive" That does not sound good. The Pro Tools executables/software always need to be in their standard places on the system drive, audio/session files always need to be on their own dedicated drive and samples need to be either on the system drive or a dedicated sample drive (never the same drive as audio/sessions). When you post the results here of your Sandra report note which partition the audio/session files are and on which partition the samples are, and which partition the Pro Tools software itself is installed on.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr303 View Post
I dropped the processors from 8 to 7, but results are still the same. I had originally moved processors from 1 to 4 to 8. This is really confusing that it is suddenly a major issue. I opened numerous sessions earlier today that were created over the past year that all worked fine, but now all get the same error, some in as few as 1 note.
So all the sessions have the same error. Mmm forget testing with a blank/new session.

Start with trashing prefs and databases.

Check the playback engine is actually set to what you think it is, no seriously, go check.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:25 AM

I think the problem is fixed. I removed the last VI plugin that I recently installed and several more that I rarely use. All sessions appear to be working fine now. The CPU error has been eliminated. It seems that some plugins maybe have to be dropped in and out as needed to avoid hitting the wall on resources. I wonder if this is an issue in PT11.

Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions.