Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 06-20-2022, 05:53 AM

Default Can Carbon be run simultaneously with UAD satallite

Can Carbon be run simultaneously with UAD satallite?

I am considering the Carbon purchase and wondered if there would be an issue running the two together.

1. Running to live track with UAD DSP plugins and Pro Tools DSP plugins.
2. Mixing with UAD dsp and Avid DSP plugins.

Is there any conflict?
Old 06-20-2022, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Can Carbon be run simultaneously with UAD satallite

This is unlikely to work well.
1) The UAD Satellite already has a high latency compared to an Apollo interface.
2) The Carbon hosts the plugins used during tracking on the DSP in the Carbon - so round-trip latency for the Carbon isn't an issue, which is important because using a PT plugin natively (i.e. on the computer) requires a round-trip from Carbon to computer and back to Carbon, which isn't particularly fast (just the Carbon AVB round trip is about 6ms minimum).

So - if you want to record a live vocal with a single AAX-DSP plugin on the Carbon and a single UAD plugin on the Satellite, you will suffer both the Carbon AVB latency (because the Carbon has to hand the monitor signal back to the computer in order to get to the UAD box) and the UAD Satellite round trip.

Mic -> Carbon (with AAX-DSP plug) -> AVB -> computer -> PT -> Thunderbolt -> UAD Satellite -> Thunderbolt -> PT -> AVB -> Carbon -> headphone/monitor output.

Contrast this with just using Carbon and AAX-DSP plugins.

Mic - > Carbon (AAX-DSP plugs) -> headphone/monitor output

I'm guessing that the first chain is probably 10-15ms (depending on sample rate and which plugs you choose and assuming your computer is fast enough)
and the second is only 1-2ms, depending on sample rate and which plugs you choose - (the Carbon-only scenario doesn't rely on computer power, so only sample rate and choice of plugin makes any difference to the round-trip time).

That's not to say that using a UAD Reverb or other similar effect isn't feasible.

All the above is related to tracking - for mixing there should be no problem in using native plugs in PT and UAD on the Satellite. You would not normally use DSP plugs on the Carbon when mixing, regardless of whether UAD is used. The DSP on the Carbon is intended for tracking only.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 06-20-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:04 AM

Thank you Dominic.
That is a great response. Very helpful to me and I'm sure others.

I did notice in other places that some where saying that carbon can be used in dsp mode for mixing if the computer is feeling the load a bit much.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:09 AM

Yes, you can use DSP for mixing or a combination of native and DSP, it's just that there isn't a whole load of DSP in the Carbon, so for large or complex mixes you are probably not going to add a lot of capacity by adding DSP from the Carbon.
Also, some people are having intermittent problems with latency compensation when they put tracks into/out of DSP mode, so if you have enough CPU power to do your mixing natively, you avoid that problem.

Dominic
Old 08-08-2022, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Yes, you can use DSP for mixing or a combination of native and DSP
In contrast to HDX a limitation with Carbon is that you cannot combine AAX-DSP and native AAX on the same track, at least for my personal workflow that’s not ideal.

You can of course have individual tracks all DSP and others all native in a larger session. It is limiting though because there is always that ONE plugin not available as AAX-DSP, mostly de-essers imho

Last edited by martthie_08; 08-08-2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:22 PM

Hmmm, latency was the biggest issue that caused me to say goodbye to UAD stuff. I ran their Quad card(which should have the same or less latency than satallite) and every plugin reported at least 1100 samples, which made tracking with UA plugins impossible. I went quite a while with UA stuff inactive in my tracking templates(I would activate when it was time to mix), but after a while, I just gave up on their entire ecosystem

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-13-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Audio View Post
Can Carbon be run simultaneously with UAD satallite?

I am considering the Carbon purchase and wondered if there would be an issue running the two together.

1. Running to live track with UAD DSP plugins and Pro Tools DSP plugins.
2. Mixing with UAD dsp and Avid DSP plugins.

Is there any conflict?
You can only use UAD Plugins for tracking on Apollo interfaces! Satellites and PCIe cards are only good for mixing.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
You can only use UAD Plugins for tracking on Apollo interfaces! Satellites and PCIe cards are only good for mixing.
Live Mode is available - not as good as running on an Apollo interface, but still workable under certain circumstances.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:28 AM

Thank you for the reply

Is Live Mode in Carbon or Apollo? I haven't heard that term.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:27 AM

Live mode is for UAD plugins running in a DAW, all well described in the UAD documentation. But this is really just not stuff intended for tracking.

Nothing here has anything to do with Carbon. UAD plugins in the DAW will behave as suckilly as they always do for tracking, they are the very opposite of low latency DSP processing you want while tracking. For that you are typically better off running native plugins, or UAD plugins in Console, or Carbon or HDX. Mix time, yep who cares run with large buffers, that's what your Satellite is designed to do. If you are buying a carbon that is presumably for it's low-latency tracking so why would you ever put a UAD DAW plugin in that chain? The question really just makes little sense if you think it through, it's like buying a Ferrari and asking if tying it to a truck will affect it's speed.