Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2021, 06:15 AM

Default Input only.... but I want to hear the Pre roll on monitors?!

Hello,
I’m an audiobook narrator and I punch and roll.
I’ve had to ditch my earphones for now bc of a health issue with my ears. I bought monitors.
I want to use those for pre roll and then obviously have them disabled while I read.
I know it is possible to achieve this but I’m baffled.
Can anyone take me through the steps?
I’ve found set record tracks to input only in track but that disables everything. I just want 5 secs pre roll to play on my monitors before I punch in.
Help!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Input only.... but I want to hear the Pre roll on monitors?!

You need to use auto punch. Set the in and out points. I’m not at my studio machine to check how. I use HD and that may work different, but I believe auto punch is in either version.

Edit added

And Auto Input Monitoring needs to be set. It should be detailed in the reference manual.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Input only.... but I want to hear the Pre roll on monitors?!

In Preferences UNlatch Playback and Record Faders. Set the Playback Fader at 0 and the Record Fader at Infinity - the bottom. Set your Pre Roll to the lead in time you want. When the Track drops into Record, the Record Fader will be at the bottom and you won't hear yourself in the monitors. When you stop Record, the Playback Fader will be at the top and you will hear the already recorded audio. If you are punching in between previously recorded audio, just highlight the area you want to record into/over. You do not want to be in Input Only.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 04-23-2021 at 09:34 AM.