Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-28-2021, 04:47 AM

Default Can I drag and drop between HFS+ and APFS?

I have a dual partition HD in my Macbook pro - currently with an El Capitan partition and a Mountain Lion partition.

If I upgrade El Cap to Mojave which uses APFS, will I be able to drag and drop between a Mojave APFS partition and a Mountain Lion HFS+ one, and vice versa?

Currently I can drag and drop files between these two partitions no matter which one I'm booted into.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Can I drag and drop between HFS+ and APFS?

yes
Old 01-28-2021, 05:12 AM

I don't think you can read/write to APFS when you booted into your Mountain Lion OS (or anything older than High Sierra).

There are third-party tools to enable that though. (Paragon Retrofit Kit I think, no experience here)
Old 01-28-2021, 05:14 AM

Older than High Sierra do not recognize APFS at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Paragon Retrofit Kit is no longer available (Unavailable since Aug 2018), also it's for Yosemite to Sierra (and read only) so wouldn't help with my Mountain Lion OS.

So it would seem than a booted OSX with HFS+ cannot read or write to APFS with the exception of being able to read only by installing Paragon Retrofit kit on a Yosemite to Sierra system.

What about the other way? Can a PT system on Mojave WRITE to an external USB SSD using HFS+?

Perhaps my best option is to install Mojave on a HFS+ partition and use the 10.14.6 version and accept that I wont be able to do anymore OS updates (what about Safari updates).

I think it's possible to clone an APFS Mojave drive to an external HFS+ one so with a few 'moves' I could get in onto a HFS+ drive.....

Last edited by JazzyJ; 01-28-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
What about the other way? Can a PT system on Mojave WRITE to an external USB SSD using HFS+?
Yes, no problem.

Quote:
Perhaps my best option is to install Mojave on a HFS+ partition and use the 10.14.6 version and accepts that I wont be able to do anymore OS updates (what about Safari updates).

I think it's possible to clone an APFS Mojave drive to an external HFS+ one so with a few 'moves' I could get in onto a HFS+ drive.....
Another workaround is to strictly work on external (or internal) dedicated audio drives (HFS+) and don't have any projects running on the OS drive. This is actually a solid work-method regardless of the OS running :)

Also I'm not sure about the APFS formatted disk when you boot into Mountain Lion. I think it will keep whining to initialize/format every single time you boot simply because it will not recognize the APFS partition. Why hold on to Mountain Lion anyway? Old software/hardware?
Old 01-28-2021, 06:00 AM

Thanks. I use the ML 10.8.5 to run PT11.3.2. I could go up to Yosemite but I see little benefits and would lose my PT10.3.9 which can run MP4/Mov videos fine whilst PT11 is shameful with video (not a good upgrade for video!). (10.8.5 is the only OS that can run two versions of PT on the same system drive).

I have a Tower system, but like to do a few bits and bobs on a Macbook. If I go for Mojave on HFS I can run 'office/internet' stuff, whilst using ML for recording - still maintaining drag and drop.

The irony is that as far as I know, PT11.3.2 runs very stable in Mojave apart from the fact that you can't 'import' audio, you have to drag it into the time line.

If I ever become a student again then I'll upgrade my Pro Tools - but for now I'm stuck at 11.3.2!

Thanks

Old 01-28-2021, 06:50 AM

Just so you know; Startup Disk in System Preferences on the old partition will not recognize the High Sierra APFS partition as bootable, but startup while pressing option key will.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:45 PM

Why not just grab another another SATA HDD. The old spinners are dirt cheap. That way you can have one for Mountain lion, one for Sierra and one of the more modern ones. I have drives with everything From leopard to Mojave. I know you probably don't have quick swap trays on a Hack but still it is a 10 minute job. On a cheese grater it takes two minutes