Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 AM

Default yamaha electronic drumkit ?

hello, my name is johan de visser from holland
i'm intending to buy a yamaha dtxpress special with the sound module of the dtxtreme.
can give anybody some advice if this is a good setup, because i'm no profeesional drummer.
greetings, johan.
p.s. my budget is limited to 2000 euro max, so unfort. i'm not in the range for the toprange.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: yamaha electronic drumkit ?

Hi,

I have only played on one recently, and haven't tried any others.
I am a professional drummer, so here's my opinion:
It is ok for playing, the sensitivity is not great as soon as you get to p or pp (very quiet) no sound comes out.
I haven't really tried programming or changing sounds, adding reverbs etc, but the factory ones are ok.
I thought about getting one just as an input device for sounds in Reason, but I'd probably rather spend a bit more money on something of better quality. But then again I am biased to acoustic drums because that's what I have always played.

The only thing I suggest is go into a shop and try one out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, elec kits are not my speciality!

What do you want it for?

Andrew
Old 11-01-2004, 01:07 PM

hello,
thanks andrew for your input, i appreciate that very much.
i have a pearl mmx kit for studio purpose and it sounds very nice, but i end up a lot of time with
triggering the kit for certain 'modern' drum sounds.
for my own music recordings ( mostly rock ) i want to do a different thing. just hit everything on a midi kit and record everything in midi. i can record the drumtracks at home, instead of programming it for a much more realistic feel. if a drummer in the studio wants to use the electronic kit it is also possible. (some extra service)
i did went to a shop and tried a roland and the yamaha, but i liked the yamaha better because of the hihat controler. i also have a roland 3080 with extra drum card, so most of the sound that came out of the roland td6 (?) were already the same.
greetings and many thanks, johan
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM

I just recently helped out and mediated the Yamaha DTXplosion in Philadelphia at the University of The Arts and had the pleasure of meeting Tony Vederosa, Akira Jimbo and Marvin McQuitty. All three of them use the DTX systems in their Acoustic/Electric setups and the performances were astonishing. They emphasized the ease of use and flexibility of the systems and I was blown away.

In yamaha's defense, there are far more features in the simple DTXpress III kit than in the Roland TD-6/8/10/20. The cymbals have three separate zones AND they are chokeable! The snare is also a three zone pad as well. Each drum is individually customizeable and you can trigger midi sounds and samples through the MIDI out port in the back.

I would suggest the Yamaha drums over the roland simply because they've been the leader in electronic drums way before roland even conceived them.

I'm a bass player by profession(I don't work for any company), but I have a love of drums since a good recorded drum sound is the holy grail of recordists and I'm always on the search for a GREAT sound. Yamaha is usually the first place I look.