Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Noob question: How do I bring up Mac Built-in Output in my session?

Hey all, total noob here, trying to figure out how to set up ProTools 2020.9.1 so it records off my computer.

Got a maxed out 21.5 inch iMac running Catalina 10.15.7.

I do not as of yet have a mixer or audio interface. Right now I just want to record off the Internet internally as well as my online chats via Skype and Zoom.

So far I was able to bring up my built-in mic through an Aux track and bounce it over to an Audio track input, but cannot do the same with the Built-in Output.

When I tried to create a signal path in Setup --> I/O it appears in the Input and Output lists in italics (which I know is a bad sign) and I'm not sure how to assign the L and R in the column to the right. Anyway when I try to access the Built-in Output via a track input it says "iMac Output (Stereo) - path n/a " and in white type, not yellow. Hopefully these clues are meaningful to someone.

I should mention that I tried setting the playback engine set to ProTools Aggregate Device as well as Built-in Output. Neither would bring it up. I also tried switching between those two settings on my Mac audio output preferences. Still no joy. Though it's possible I missed trying the right combination of engine and pref settings.

I'm a certified dummy about how Mac sound output gets routed so I don't mind being talked to that way. Oddly, I do have some proficiency with ProTools once I'm in edit mode and can't wait to get cracking with it. But the I/O window in ProTools has always confused the hell outta me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first time posting to this forum so I am eager to see if you guys can solve this issue.

Thanks so much!

Rikki
Old 10-07-2020, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Noob question: How do I bring up Mac Built-in Output in my session?

You can’t.

Have a look at Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback. That will allow you to route audio from different applications to their applications internally on your Mac.

They also make another app called Audio Hijack Pro that simply captures audio on your computer to an audio file which you can then import into PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You can’t.
Really? So I can record directly off the Internet with freeware like Audacity but not with ProTools? That is astounding.

Is this because I don't have an audio interface? Or does everyone have to use a workaround like Loopback to record off their computers with PT?

Just trying to understand why something so basic seems so difficult.

Anyway, thanks for telling me about the Rogue Amoeba apps. I will look into it.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 AM

How are you getting computer audio into Audacity? You still need something like Loopback or Soundflower to route that built-in audio output to a software input, no?

I have the feeling that not many people in here are trying to do what you are trying to do, as odd as that may seem. 99.4% of us (made up number) are using an external interface. But I have seen people describe running a MBPro's optical output into an Avid Omni's input as a way to use the interface for system sounds...

Last edited by _JJ_; 10-08-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
How are you getting computer audio into Audacity? You still need something like Loopback or Soundflower to route that built-in audio output to a software input, no?
Ha, OK so I do have Soundflower which always worked perfectly with Audacity in years past, but since Catalina the companion app, Soundflowerbed, no longer works and the only way I could both record and listen to audio was to keep the session in record-pause continually. I finally got things to work "normally" (listening and punching in record at will) by setting the audio output to Aggregate Device, but I thought I created that with the audio Midi utility, not Soundflower. So as far as I could tell Soundflower has not been part of my current setup. But maybe it's still making the connection in the background? Anyway, with this in mind, I thought ProTools Aggregate I/O would the right setting to replace Aggregate Device on my Mac but maybe not.

As you can plainly see I could use a dummy tutorial on this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
I have the feeling that not many people in here are trying to do what you are trying to do, as odd as that may seem. 99.4% of us (made up number) are using an external interface.
LOL I'm sure you are right, including your guesstimate. I was just hesitant to buy an interface until I was sure PT would work on my computer and thought I could test it out beforehand somehow. (I still don't know if it will work even if I get one).

My curse is that I was once trained to edit with ProTools at a studio where all the IT stuff was handled by pros. Now that I'm on my own I have to learn basic computer stuff from scratch. But it will all be worth it if I can ditch Audacity and start doing "real" editing again.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Audacity is a surprisingly useful FREE app which I still use a lot when dealing with mp3s and audio snippets. It is limited though so I understand you wanting to get into a more pro setup.

But PT is quite a leap, and maybe your most expensive choice. Since you've already worked on it then it may make sense for you but there are some other fine alternative DAWs (including Logic) which you could learn to operate quickly and for much less dough. I assume you'll still want an interface at some point and if you go with Avid hardware it's a sizable investment.

If you just want to mess around with your PT software but can't get it to see the internal Mac audio as an input ... just make some wav files in Audacity and import them. Or import some aiff files from an audio CD or even just convert some mp3 audio into PT wavs just to mess around.