Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Live Performance

I'm a drummer.
I want to create loops while I'm performing live.
I'm not sure I even know all the applicable tools available.
Here's the gear I have to work with:
My ibook G4 (933mhz 640mb)
An external audio drive.
A digi 002 rack (pt 6.4)
Basic drum microphones.
A small PA system.
These are the 2 things I'm considering:

1. A phrase sampler in the form of a guitar pedal.

2. Using the ibook--I've heard and read about the power of ableton live--but I've never used it.
I'm scared of using the computer during live performance--I'm afraid it would crash.

I'm really looking forward to collecting some opinions.

Thanks for taking a sec to read my post.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Live Performance

i play live shows all the time using sequenced drumbeats i made in reason or programed from my own sequencers along with pre recorded sytnhts. i play guitar with them live, have a singer and a bass player. you can use a g4 and get native instruments kontakt 2 and load all your songs indvidually then trigger them via midi assigning each track to a seperate key on the keyboard or a foot switch. kontakt 2 is used bu tons of professionals for this. unfortunaetly i don't have a laptop to do this with so i actually import all my songs drumsbeats from my digi002 to an ipod set to wav. at 48000khz 16 bit. i played a kick ass show last night for the 5 the time using it and it works awesome. the screen works as my own little back lit set list on stage.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Live Performance

yep, the Ipod would work well loading in the tracks, or you could also get a sequencer with some drum triggers if you are using an acoustic kit currently and program your loops on your sequencer and use the triggers just as effectively.