Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Default Re: bounce to disk bass heavy

I also think it's likely that you're hearing some tracks as you mix that are not getting to the bounce, or you're hearing them 'twice'. Make sure every track and effect you're hearing is going to the dedicated bounce source you've chosen, and that nothing in the mix is going anywhere else. In particular you may find some effects returns or submixes or cue busses are routed to your monitor path but not to the main mix bus. That would make them audible as you mix but not in the bounce. Again, IMO, this is overwhelmingly the likely suspect. As others have pointed out, there is no way a properly set up bounce should sound any different on playback.

Having said all of that however, Like Howardk and others I also (almost) never use bounce mode, preferring instead to mix through a stereo aux as a master fader, and then in turn another that feeds a stereo audio track. If nothing else, it makes it easier to stop and resume a partially finished mix if a problem is heard. And a stack of playlists is an easy way to organize multiple passes, versions and stems. Buss compression, limiting, noise reduction etc. can also easily be applied pre-master fader to the mix.

Coming from a background in analog mixing also made this the most intuitive signal path for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM

RTD and BTD are the same they phase cancel 100%
FWIW BTD plays session automation more accurately when using session with very automation.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

this sounds suspiciously like you have "sound enhancer" selected on your itunes (why it even exists is a mystery as it sounds BAD)

drove me mad for a couple of days after i updated it once - honestly thought i was going crazy

hope it helps..... you can just turn it off in the playback preferences

C.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM

thanks again for all the replies. operator error as it turns out. a routing issue, too embarrassing to detail. did get the heads up from the posts. no more gnashing of teeth or rending of garments.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 AM

Good stuff, the DUC at its best

Now who wants a heated about about HD vs LE? . . .. (ahem)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM

I have the same thing If i get my mix the way I like it with my studio headphones on, bounce it, listen to it on itunes on computer speakers, or cd on bigger stereo.
Then I realized I have the same difference between my studio headphones, and external studio monitors while listening to the mix in protools.

Might try using external studio monitors for mixing instead of headphones.
M-Audio Axiom 49 Midi Keyboard
Strike, Waves Musician II v7, iZotope Ozone 4
Various other implements of doom
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
RTD and BTD are the same they phase cancel 100%
FWIW BTD plays session automation more accurately when using session with very automation.

what?

i thought it was the other way around

in fact i thought i read it here and i believed it.

who can confirm this?