Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 PM

Default Solo does not solo one track but a few more!

Hi

Amongst a number of issues like been able to open office sessions with out having to log in to Avid Link, Pro tools and ilok accounts I now noticed that when I solo a track I near a few more...and they are supposed to be muted.

Any advise appreciated
Old 04-06-2021, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Solo does not solo one track but a few more!

I'm guessing you have to log in to access "projects" that live in the cloud? If you create "sessions" instead of projects, sessions live on your local hard drive. Given how cloud-based projects are currently working(not very well), I would stick with local sessions.

Re the solo issue, there are a couple of things to look for:
1-do you have multiple tracks made into a "group"? Group attributes allows for all tracks in a group to solo together(show groups and deactivate them).
2-In the regular versions of PT, its possible to Ctrl-click on a solo button so that it will be locked out(this is called "solo safe"). You might solo-safe an AUX track with a reverb or delay, so when you solo something like a vocal track, you would still hear the reverb/delay, even though you did not ALSO solo the AUX track.(I'm not sure if PTF also has this feature).
3-youtube has lots of tutorials for free(some are better than others). Groove3 is a site with very good tutorials, but you pay to have access.
4-PTF is very limited and is designed to give you an idea how PT works, but not give you enough versatility to do what most of us would call "real work". My own preference is to recommend either buying the regular version(usually called Pro Tools "vanilla", as opposed to Pro Tools "Ultimate", which you don't need), OR, look at some other DAW options(most of which are not filled with the shortcomings of PT First).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-06-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm guessing you have to log in to access "projects" that live in the cloud? If you create "sessions" instead of projects, sessions live on your local hard drive. Given how cloud-based projects are currently working(not very well), I would stick with local sessions.
No these where sessions from my hard drive which I opened and was forced to convert as offline projects, I then imported the audio to create sessions, still tells me I have to be logged in to use pro tools, even lost session data while changing wifi spots.

Quote:
Re the solo issue, there are a couple of things to look for:
1-do you have multiple tracks made into a "group"? Group attributes allows for all tracks in a group to solo together(show groups and deactivate them).
2-In the regular versions of PT, its possible to Ctrl-click on a solo button so that it will be locked out(this is called "solo safe"). You might solo-safe an AUX track with a reverb or delay, so when you solo something like a vocal track, you would still hear the reverb/delay, even though you did not ALSO solo the AUX track.(I'm not sure if PTF also has this feature).
I imported audio to a fresh sessions (no template etc) and upon hitting solo another track can be heard

Quote:
3-youtube has lots of tutorials for free(some are better than others). Groove3 is a site with very good tutorials, but you pay to have access.
4-PTF is very limited and is designed to give you an idea how PT works, but not give you enough versatility to do what most of us would call "real work". My own preference is to recommend either buying the regular version(usually called Pro Tools "vanilla", as opposed to Pro Tools "Ultimate", which you don't need), OR, look at some other DAW options(most of which are not filled with the shortcomings of PT First).
This is what Avid says PT first is:
First is just a 'lite' version of the real deal, but it uses the same exact same format as the full version. The free version allows 16 audio tracks, 16 virtual instrument tracks, and lets you to record up to 4 tracks simultaneously. First also comes with the Xpand!
https://producelikeapro.com/blog/avid-pro-tools-first/

Im not trying to rant or replying to you this way to be obnoxious, everything I just posted is correct unless you know something I missed, please do advise.

As far as I can see
-You have to be online logged into a Avid account to use PT First, I can understand this with the trial but the PT Free?
-Then all sessions are converted to PT Free formats, assuming they can be opened by a full version of PT which I have never tried to do when I had used a trial at a friends studio.
-And AVID does not advertises Pro Tools Free as a introductory version, as above, fully functional limited to 16 tracks with no video support, you can even purchase plug ins and use them with it.

If I missed anything please do tell me,
thanks

Last edited by skystudios; 04-06-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 PM

Pro Tools First is a free DAW from AVID that is available since 2015.
The Versions prior to 2019.5 were only useable with AVID Cloud and limited to 3 Projects / 1 GB free.

You have / had the option to increase the Cloudspace for a subscriptional fee. Since 2019.5 you also can use Pro Tools First for local stored Projects. These Projects can be downloaded to your Cloudspace and only from this cloud space these Projects are accessible from other Pro Tools Users.

The main restrictions nowadays for Pro Tools First are that you are limited in tracks and features aswell the only use of plug-ins bought or rented from the AVID Marketplace.

If you rent the AVID Complete plugin-Bundle für around 50 Bucks a year, you have, in my opinion, a real good value DAW to interchange or work with other Pro Tools Users.

In General the usage is nearly similar to "Full" Pro Tools Versions like Vanilla or Ultimate. It is the lack of features like missing video tracks, Clip Gain, Folder Tracks a.s.o where you have to decide to go for the Full Versions or not. In my case, i use them both and because of education version can justify the 100 Bucks per year included the AVID Complete Bundle.

If you are using Pro Tools for professional use cases exclusively you should be able to buy or rent at least the vanilla version. For home amateur cases or non
Pro Tools exclusive work (Like me Cubase, Logic, Reaper, Pro Tools) it might be the right decision to stay on Pro Tools First - which is becoming at least 1 update per year - FOR FREE!!!

These are my thoughts and opinions about the Pro Tools First.
You will always get better solutions, but mostly not for free

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on