Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Navigating to Browser tab in Structure hangs Pro Tools

Greetings,

When trying to navigate to the browser tab using Structure 1.1 I get the spinning beachball and have to force quit Pro Tools. This happens to me every time so basically I can't load any patches unless they are registered with the Structure Database.

I've already tried trashing my preferences and reinstalled Structure and Pro Tools, disconnected unused external firewire drives, unplugged ethernet cable, turned off airport. I also recently just tried updating to the newly released pro tools m-Powered 8.0.4 and that didn't help. This is occurring on my MacBook Pro system with an M-Audio Ozonic plugged into a SIIG 2 port firewire expresscard, I'm using the 10.6.3 qualified drivers for the M-Audio ozonic. I'm using OS 10.6.3.

All my other Software samplers(EXS24, Kontakt 4, Ableton Live Sampler, Reason Samplers) work fine on this system. It's just the Air Structure plugin that I'm having an issue with.

The version of Structure I'm using is the one that came with the PTIEP that recently was released. I downloaded it from the Avid online store. I checked to see if I could find a newer version since the original release but I can not find one on the Avid site.

I read from a previous post that other users have experienced this also but no resolution has been posted as of yet. Can anyone help me out or offer some other troubleshooting suggestions?

OSX 10.8.4 | Macbook Pro | 4 GB | DIGI 003
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Navigating to Browser tab in Structure hangs Pro Tools

I have the same problem!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM

beachball from hell here as well
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 AM

I managed to sort it - it happened with PT9 and the instrument expansion pack. But I'm not sure whether it will work in all cases as the OP tried trashing prefs.

I noticed that the Setup window froze/beachballed when navigating to /Volumes to find the disk drives so, on a hunch, disconnected any network drives figuring they might be messing up the browser. That didn't work.

So, I tried trashing the com.digidesign.Structure.plist files – the one in the root Library/Preferences folder didn't have any effect. The one in the user library didn't seem to make much of a difference at first but while I was heading to force quit PT9 again, I noticed that the SWOD stopped and the browser had found the root folder of the Mac. I navigated to the drives used for storing samples and it seemed happy. It still seems happy after relaunch.

So, if just trashing the prefs doesn't work, try disconnecting any network drives and trashing them again. If that doesn't work...I'm out of ideas.

However, it seems that the browser, when it hangs, is looking for something that doesn't exist or can't get proper access to.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Can you please go into a little more depth on this issue. I am having the same damn issues. I am tired of uninstalling and reinstalling over and over again. I figured out how to get the database working properly but this browser issue is fu----g ridiculous.

Everytime I click the Browser the damn beachball pops up and freezes the session for 18 years.

Avid or Digi, whatever your name is can someone please help me out here.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

cf_buck

I upgraded to PT9 hoping that this would solve this issue but it has not. The only workaround I have found is to disable all network connections in system preferences.

I also noticed by disabling my network connections my pro tools sessions open much quicker.

It's a pain I know but it's the only thing I found that works, hope it works for you.

Best,

Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Buck View Post
Can you please go into a little more depth on this issue. I am having the same damn issues. I am tired of uninstalling and reinstalling over and over again. I figured out how to get the database working properly but this browser issue is fu----g ridiculous.

Everytime I click the Browser the damn beachball pops up and freezes the session for 18 years.

Avid or Digi, whatever your name is can someone please help me out here.

Thanks

Same experience here, I purchased a 003 system a couple months ago and it's the same scenario for me with the Browser beach ball.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM

A suggestion, try deleting the AIR Database file then rebuild the Database.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
A suggestion, try deleting the AIR Database file then rebuild the Database.
Hi Aaron, thank you for the suggestion, I tried it but am still experiencing the problem.

Best,

Old 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM

I finally figured out what was causing my problem. It turns out it was my network configuration that was the issue. I figured it out because my internet connection was performing less than expected so I started trying several configurations. Once I fixed my internet performance problem, Structure's Browser no longer hangs. :)

Here's what I did...

My previous configuration had the following setup:

dsl modem -> vonage 4 port router -> time capsule connected via the wan port -> pro tools system connected to time capsule lan port. I did this because I needed more than 4 ethernet port connections. This setup gave me 8.

So what fixed my problem was doing this:

dsl modem -> time capsule wan port - pro tools system connect to time capsule lan port. Now both my internet speed has improved and I can now use Structure's Browser without Pro Tools locking up.

Unfortunately I lost 4 ethernet ports on my network by doing this but I'll live with it. Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.