Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Logic Plugins w/HD2 system

I am thinking of upgrading a version of Logic I own to Logic 7 for the sole reason of obtaining the 75 or so plugins and all the Virtual instruments that come with it. I'm not sure if I will use the software as a front end for PT though. How do the Logic plugins show up in PT. Are the Logic plugins VST plugins and will I need the VST Wrapper? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Logic Plugins w/HD2 system

Logic uses its own standard of plugins called 'Logic' =) The only way you can see them in PT is if you get EPIC TDM or HostTDM Enabler from Emagic. The only problem is that it's discontinued and you can only use 28 days of a demo period for either of these two products. You can still download them from Emagic's website.
I just mixed a record using HostTDM Enabler for some tracks in PT TDM 6.4. I pulled up 3 instanses of Space Designer and it worked perfectly...
Also, If you are talking about having AU plugins show up in PT take a look at FXPansion's AU2RTAS wrapper. [ www.fxpansion.com ]
Old 12-29-2004, 05:43 AM

I just heard a rumor that at least the Host TDM Enabler is fully authorized with the full new purchase of Logic Pro 7 (not with the update...). Maybe it´s the same with EPIC.
This is not documented by Apple AFAIK, and you have to install the software separately, because they´re not part of the L7 package (but still downloadable on emagic´s old website).

Peter
Old 12-29-2004, 01:17 PM

Interesting. I wonder if anyone at the Apple's Logic Discussions knows anything or can confirm. There are a lot of folks over there who purchased the full Logic 7 version. They could just take a look at their XSKey licences and see whether they have permanent ones for EPIC and/or HTDME. On my XSKey (that I got with Logic Pro 6.4) both are 28-day demo licences.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:22 PM

i would imagine the reason top engineers prefer cracks is because ( even if they pay for it ) it's more stable
Old 12-29-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Also, If you are talking about having AU plugins show up in PT take a look at FXPansion's AU2RTAS wrapper. [ www.fxpansion.com ]
So are the Logic plugins AU?? How about the virtual instruments? So the version of Epic or TDM enabler is only a demo within Logic. Can this still be purchased somewhere and is it going to be compatible with my system G5 1.8 DP OS10.3.2 PTHD 6.4

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 05:21 PM

Hello,

Host TDM and EPIC TDM are now discontinued and not supported!

The host TDM is possibly still available from some stores! it will give you the following instruments SY77/EVB3/THE CLAV PLUGIN/ 2-3 SOFTSYNTHS CS1 CS2 ETC AND SPACE DESIGNER!! But with no impulse responces. It does not have EXS24!!! These all work really well in Pro tools!!

EPIC TDM is very rare now, it will give you most of the best of logic 5/6 processing plugins.

HOST and EPIC are not included in Logic 7 (Emagic system bridge is included? ESB)

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info....not really sure if this is worth the trouble. If I use Logic7 as the front end of my HD rig, then I will get all the Logic plugins and synths as well as all the plugins in my system ....correct? Maybe this is the better way to go. Suggestions?

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 06:15 PM

- Yes, EPIC and HTDME were discontinued since Logic Pro series, I forgot to mention that. However XSKeys still have demo versions of these products available. If I could buy a full licence for HTDM Enabler I totally would - it's a very useful tool for PT environment.
- AU plugins ARE different from proprietary Logic format. The AU (Audio Units) format is developed by Apple and is a part of OSX. These plugins are developed by 3rd party companies (not Emagic or Apple) in most cases. There are a lot more of AU plugins than Logic ones. www.osxaudio.com has a lot of stuff about them if you want to research.
- You can use Logic as the front end if you are familiar with it. It depends on your personal preferences and type of work you are doing.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 PM

I have used it before. I am really trying to maximize my plugins and virtual instuments. Since upgrading from PT 4.3 on a powermac 7300 OS 8.6 straight to a G5 HD2 Accel rig, many of the plugins are no longer any good to me. I have been slowly picking up some as I can afford it. I thought that since I could upgrade from Logic 5 to 7 for $300 I thought at least I could use all the plugins and VI's. If I were to pick up Epic and/or Host TDM enabler on Ebay....is it worth it?

Mike