Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 12:05 AM

Default How to record Electro-acoustic guitar?

I´ve been recording electric guitar for a while but I am now facing a new challenge. I ordered a new guitar, it is a Carvin Nylon string electroacoustic. From what I have heard it has a very nice direct sound, but its acoustic unplugged sound is nothing special. I know I have to mess arround a while with different possibilities till I get the sound I like. Just wanted to know if any of you have any tips or recomendations to help me start from there.
Any stomp boxes, direct boxes etc.. I could use.
Thanks,.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:52 AM

Default Re: How to record Electro-acoustic guitar?

I've been trying a couple of different DI boxes but could never really improve the direct sound. From my experience, 90% of the sound (especially warmness and airy stuff) comes from a good static mic into a good préamp.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:07 AM

So would using both direct and miked channels work well?
Anyone tried the yamaha AG acoustic stomp box?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:52 AM

With a similar guitar I have had great success with 80% Mic and 20% (rough numberes) DI. I use the DI trac for ading chorus and EQ, and try to leave the Mic trac for Verb. I use a small condensor Mic if the guitar is in a trac with a group and a Large Daiphram Mic for a Solo guitar Track.

Peace, enjoy your new guitar and world of sounds,
NoteFarm
Old 01-31-2003, 07:28 AM

I've also been getting into tracking acoustic both direct and mic'd at the same time. It helps fatten up the guitar for me and puts the acoustic more in your face.

Also , I like micing the the body just above the sound hole with a condenser, and then placing another mic at the head facing down the neck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 08:02 AM

hey there... i was wondering if anyone could help me out... i just got an MBox... i can't seem to get a signal out of my acoustic guitar (Martin acoustic with a Martin thinline pickup installed) -- just a lot of noice and scratchiness... but it works with my electric no problem so it's obviously not the cable or anything like that!!!! has anyone had something similar happen??? this is totally frustrating.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 AM

hey sweaterfish........this is gonna sound really stupid......but how long has the battery in the on-board pre-amp in the martin been in there.....try changing it.........this can affect signal output over long distances thru a snake also

enjoy the martin!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:52 AM

hey -- thanks for the reply... i actually just changed the battery -- bizarre -- and tried a few differents cables. it seems as though some **sort of** work and others just make a lot of noise. i gave up and just mic'd it. i guess all this recording stuff is a bunch of trial and error, eh?

thanks a million!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]