Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Why can\'t I set PT to 128 after switch XP Home?

Hey guys,

I know this probably takes more information to sniff out than what I can give right now since I'm at work however I'm going to see if you have any ideas.

Recently I decided it was time for me to do a spring cleaning on my computer. I saved all my important docs, cleared my hard-drive and reinstalled everything new. The only thing that changed was that I had to switch to XP home from XP pro since I couldn't find my disc and I didn't think I gained anything from the few added features.

Now that I cleaned the computer and reinstalled everything, I noticed last night that I can no longer even play just a stereo track when set to the 128 latency setting. It goes about two seconds and I get a 9068 error or something like that. This just dosen't make sence to me since my system is a pretty good one. I will list it here:

Digi 002
AMD 2500+ Barton
A7V600
Nvidia FX 5600
siig combo Firewire/USB 2.0 card
1 gig of ram (although I think I may have to switch this out. I have 512 of nice corsair 2700 ram, and 512 of cheapo circuit city ram that is also 2700. I thought if they were the same speed it didn't matter but I think I heard somewhere that you weren't sapposed to put two different brand name ram in the same computer)

I have already gone threw the few tweaks I can think of(turning off system restore, turning off XP effects, setting PT to only record for 10 minutes) but nothing seems to help the errors I get with just a single stereo track. If anyone can think of something I'm missing I would love to hear it.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t I set PT to 128 after switch XP Home?

got the Via chipset drivers installed?, set pagefile to 1026 min/max on system drive only (usually C:\) or disable it completely since you have 1 GB, Can use different brand name RAM if its the same specs otherwise your faster RAM stick will be throttled to the speed of slower stick, on my NForce2 motherboard I wouldn't use different brands because they have to be same exact timing to enable the "Dual Channel" support.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:47 AM

the only thing I didn't install was the raid drivers. Should I have put these on? If your talking about that patch that was sapposed to speed up via chipsets I thought that was only for the older boards.

I will have to try playing with the pagefile to see if it helps
Old 12-17-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t I set PT to 128 after switch XP Home

It is HIGHLY recommended not to use the firewire/usb combo cards.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 AM

Quote:
the only thing I didn't install was the raid drivers. Should I have put these on? If your talking about that patch that was sapposed to speed up via chipsets I thought that was only for the older boards.
No, was referring to these drivers: VIA Hyperion drivers
Old 12-17-2003, 10:24 AM

Quote:
It is HIGHLY recommended not to use the firewire/usb combo cards.
Why?

I don't have a 002, so I don't know how one of those would perform on my system, but my Firewire and USB2 hard drives work just fine. I'm using an Adaptec DuoConnect 1394/USB2 card (I don't remember which model exactly). The Firewire and USB2 busses use separate interrupts. I can transfer from USB2 drive to Firewire drive or vise versa at full speed with no problem. I don't see why combo cards should be a problem.

I'm not arguing with you, or suggesting that Firewire/USB2 combo cards actually do perform well with a 002. I don't know; I havent tried it. I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't be just as good as separate cards, considering that they use separate interrupts. Also consider that Calvin's combo card worked just fine prior to the format and install of XP Home.

I cannot find anything in the compatibility documents that recommend against combo cards. Where is the information found that "HIGHLY recommends against combo Firewire/USB cards?"

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 12-17-2003, 11:48 AM

well I installed the 4 in 1 drivers that came with the board, but I will try to see if there is an update of them out there.

so far I have been very happy with my firewire USB2.0 card, however I wouldn't mind getting just a firewire card since the A7V600 has tons of USB 2.0 jacks on it.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:45 PM

Ok, so Via drivers probably not the cause since you have them installed already, lets move on... you disabled your pagefile/s and this makes no difference and your FW card was working at 128 H/W buffer just fine in XP Pro then it's time to do more tweaks...

start with manualizing as many services as possible (leave Remote Procedure Call RPC on AUTOMATIC), still no 128?, try disabling some things in device manager, you have any 3rd party soundcards installed? disable it, try again, disable your netcard, try again.

Control Panel > Network connections > right click properties on all IEEE connections and uncheck all. as the 002 does not use TCP/IP, Client for MS networks and file and printer sharing.

Control Panel > System > > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > click Backround services, experiment with the Memory usage options, whatever works.

Think what you did differently with this XP install than the last,
- did you install any new hardware since?
(including FW/USB connected devices..etc)
- did you change any BIOS settings?

cant think of anything else until you reply.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:14 PM

What about PTLE's CPU Usage setting? I always forget that one, and I get dramatically worse results if I don't have mine set to 85%.

Just grasping at straws here in hopes of stumbling across the answer.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 12-17-2003, 09:08 PM

Ok I played with my memory settings and that dosen't seem to affect anything. I tried disabling my pagefile that didn't work. I took off all the options on my 1394 connection and disabled my NIC connection still no luck. I updated all of my via drivers, nope. I tried everything you guys listed so far and to no avail. The only thing that I haven't done is gone into and edited my services. I really hate doing that because I don't know what to leave going and what to get rid of so it's kinda scary. I think I'm going to try to reinstall PT to see if that could possibly help.

Man this sucks. It is so darn frustrating to be looking at the digi system usage window that barely shows any green on it and still get errors. Here are my IRQs but I can't think of anything that needs changing except I might try using just a firewire card when I get a chance to stop by best buy tomorrow.

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra OK
IRQ 16 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK