Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 10:50 AM

Default Re: I want to buy a MIDI keyboard controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
You should likely consider an offering from Native Instruments.

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ete/keyboards/

NKS via Komplete Kontrol is probably unique with what it can do across nearly all the major software manufacturers.

Stephen
I got myself a M32, instead of something else, due to promise of integration with PT 2021.10. It does NOT integrate here. windows 10, PT 2021.10. Ongoing support case with NI SINCE NOV 12 !! No resolution. Today I got a 25E voucher...

This is not a pleasurable customer experience, and who goes back to pain...?

/T
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
You should likely consider an offering from Native Instruments.

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ete/keyboards/

NKS via Komplete Kontrol is probably unique with what it can do across nearly all the major software manufacturers.

Stephen
Their 88-key model is beyond my price range & needs (88-key hammer action controller only). Thanks anyway!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-18-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I need an upgrade. Suggestions for 88 key weighted hammer controller? Convincing feel for acoustic pianists? For my purposes, I don't need any on-board sounds (but if it comes with sounds that's ok too I suppose). Perhaps Kurzweil KM88 or M-Audio Hammer 88 or other? Thanks for recommendations!
I’ve got a Kawai VPC1 here, a Kawai grand piano action with USB MIDI. Ravencroft uses them for their virtual 275 rig.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 12-19-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
I’ve got a Kawai VPC1 here, a Kawai grand piano action with USB MIDI. Ravencroft uses them for their virtual 275 rig.
Do you use it for anything else than piano vi's? I ask because there's no pitch bend or mod wheels (a lot of other piano action controllers have them).

Not cheap either - $1849 US at Sweetwater.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2021, 08:14 PM

I found this thread interesting. I've been putting off forever looking at getting a controller to use for drum VIs and I'm just not sure where to start. I typically want to create a drum/rhythm track with VIs like Superior Drummer and I click around and do that with the mouse. I'm absolutely not a drummer or keyboard player. What is a good MIDI controller to start with?
Old 12-21-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I found this thread interesting. I've been putting off forever looking at getting a controller to use for drum VIs and I'm just not sure where to start. I typically want to create a drum/rhythm track with VIs like Superior Drummer and I click around and do that with the mouse. I'm absolutely not a drummer or keyboard player. What is a good MIDI controller to start with?
Do you want keys like on a music keyboard or pads? One way is to get some kind of controller with the 16 pads set in a square. Some keyboards have the pads as well. Stay away from anything Arturia in controllers.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2021, 11:33 PM

I am so clueless that I don’t know what I want. Have not really tried pads. Not being a drummer I am certainly not expecting to drum out stuff. More plonk away on things, hopefully just easier than clicking a mouse.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I am so clueless that I don’t know what I want. Have not really tried pads. Not being a drummer I am certainly not expecting to drum out stuff. More plonk away on things, hopefully just easier than clicking a mouse.
First thing to ask: do you play any kind of keyboard instrument? If so you might want to look at something that has both pads and keys like these two:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ard-controller
or this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ard-controller

If you don't play keys then a pad-only device like below might suit you:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...pad-controller

I have no experience with any of the above but they are representative of typical controllers. There are some controllers that get very specific and are pitched more towards drummers/percussionists. Like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ion-trapkat-xl As an aside the controller Neil Peart had in his rig was a MalletKat.

One of the bigger things to keep in mind is something we've all seen here and that's getting a piece of equipment to talk to the computer & software. Specifically MIDI/control mapping. Hopefully whatever you settle on has a General MIDI mapping for both the controller and vi you want to use. Yes there is a specific GM mapping for drums/percussion.

Why haven't I mentioned about playing drums with a regular music keyboard? It's certainly possible with a synth action and I've done it when all I need is a couple of quick hits and not wanting to go to my bastardized Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 controller and foot pedal. Possible but the mapping is a right pain.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2021, 06:02 AM

Darryl,

I have the Akai MPK249 and you should definitely have a look at that or the MPK261 that Musicman691 linked in his post. It is well made, has a good touch for expression and from what I can tell is durable. You can assign each of the 16 pads on the MKP249 to a drum in Superior Drummer (kick, snare, hi-hat open, hi-hat closed, etc) as well as use the keyboard for software synths. There are also faders, knobs and transport buttons that you can also assign to various functions either within ProTools or the VI. I've not done a lot of that (other than assign pads to VI drums), but I'm guessing you can figure it out pretty easily, though it might take some time to program. Conversely, there may be controllers from other manufacturers where the integration/mapping of the controller with ProTools or the VI is easier.

I'm just getting back into recording and am not a drummer nor much of a keyboard player, but you might surprise yourself how much better you'll be in a year's time after messing around with the stuff.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Oh good! I am not alone!!!