Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Default Pro Tools Training for Guitarist

Can anyone reccommend a book and/or video to help me learn the basics of using Pro Tools 10? I don't need to know it from a to z, just the basics of recording guitar and bass and using the interface, etc as it relates to the Eleven Rack.

I see tons of books and courses for PT9, but very little for PT10 yet. I'm curious if the PT 9 materials would apply to PT10 for the most part, or if the two versions are vastly different from one another.

I'd prefer a self study course with exercises and examples to work through, and one that starts from the ground up.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Training for Guitarist

just search for "protools how to" in youtube and you will get a lot of very helpful themed information, most of it very good and straightforward.

it helps to have a couple of tracks ready to play around with (like 8 track from reherasing or such)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks.

I saw this book listed, and I think I'll follow your youtube advice until this comes out in June.

http://www.cengage.com/search/produc...8&Ntk=P_Isbn13

Seems like it will cover the Eleven Rack also.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM

I watched a couple sample vids from this series http://www.lynda.com/Pro-Tools-9-tut...g/74534-2.html and decided it'd be money well spent for a month or two of that... then i moved my gear and I'm trying to get reorganized. Soon!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorefingers View Post
Can anyone reccommend a book and/or video to help me learn the basics of using Pro Tools 10? I don't need to know it from a to z, just the basics of recording guitar and bass and using the interface, etc as it relates to the Eleven Rack.

I see tons of books and courses for PT9, but very little for PT10 yet. I'm curious if the PT 9 materials would apply to PT10 for the most part, or if the two versions are vastly different from one another.

I'd prefer a self study course with exercises and examples to work through, and one that starts from the ground up.

Thanks
The best site for a comprehensive look at Pro Tools is Lynda.com

The information for PT9 will apply to PT10 for the most part, just as for the most part PT9 information applies to PT8 and PT7 - The core is the same for both PT9 and PT10.

Of course there are differences with the new additions in PT10, but the core is the same. Check out Lynda.com if you want something that covers everything in one package. If you don't mind searching things out then go to Youtube and start searching, then search Google, then search the .pdf that gets installed with Pro Tools.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
The best site for a comprehensive look at Pro Tools is Lynda.com
How do you feel about Groove 3 compared to Lynda.com?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbub View Post
How do you feel about Groove 3 compared to Lynda.com?
nothing wrong with Groove3 mind you. But their Pro Tools training is not as comprehensive and complete as Lynda - at least not in the past, maybe they have changed.

It looks like Lynda is not doing a 'Pro Tools 10' tutorial, instead you would get the PT9 tutorial which is over 8 hours long, then watch the Pro Tools 10 new features tutorial which is another 30 minutes.

You would be fine with either. Groove3 makes some great tutorial for plugins - I just prefer Lynda for Pro Tools and other applications training as they are very extensive. However, since Groove3 has a PT10 specific tutorial it may be best to go with them if you are a beginner, just to avoid confusion.

Platinum Labs also make some great tutorials, but it looks like they haven't put out anything new for awhile.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM

I saw an iPhone app yesterday!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM

I have several of those iPhone apps and they have been excellent. I have avoided many problems that people post and have learned a ton with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM

I looked in the app store and all I saw are courses that play videos. Is that what you're talking about or is there a specific app you reccomend?