Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Default Sending MIDI to V-Drums, audio back

Hello all,

New Pro Tools user here, and having a small MIDI issue. I want to use my Roland TD-9 V-drums to send MIDI data to Pro Tools, and I also want to use my V-drum controller as my audio device. After reading a few other threads, I think I'm pretty close but I don't appear to either be sending my recorded MIDI data back to my V-drum controller. Here's my cable setup:

MIDI out from V-drum going to MIDI in on my Mbox 2. MIDI out from Mbox 2 going to MIDI in on V-drum. Audio out from V-drum going to input 1 on Mbox 2.

Here's my Mix setup:
MIDI track with recorded MIDI data - Output: Digidesign Emulatred Mbox 2, Channel 10
AUX track - Input: Input line 1. Output: Bus 17
AUDIO track - Input: Bus 17. Output: Out 1

I have MIDI Thru checked in Pro Tools, and Soft Thru turned on within V-drum. Tx/Rx channel is 10 in V-drum.

I know I am able to send audio out from my V-drums when playing and I have recorded that with no issues. My problem is that I want to send MIDI data to my V-drum controller, have it generate the audio, and then send that back into Input 1 on my Mbox. Is there some other component I need or am I making some sort of routing mistake? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Sending MIDI to V-Drums, audio back

At the very least, I would bring the V kit into 2 inputs and a stereo track. As for why its not working, that's a tough one as it sounds like you have done everything right(so far anyway). Did you go into Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and actually create a midi instrument there? You need to do that(but brand and model are not important). You do need the Roland kit to be a device in that setup window. If you have no other midi stuff connected, then you could leave the midi channels all lit in the Midi Studio setup window I did this with my Roland TD10 kit for 2 years and it worked fine(except I would need to unplug the midi cable going back to the Roland brain so I would net get double-triggers while recording. Since I started using Superior Drummer, I never take audio from the Roland any more
MIDI track with recorded MIDI data - Output: Digidesign Emulated Mbox 2, Channel 10 this looks right to me, but if the TD9 brain has a USB connection, that might also be an option(assuming you can load drivers into the computer so it shows up in Midi Studio as an available midi connection/path)
AUX track - Input: Input line 1. Output: Bus 17 I would simply bring the 2 inputs(stereo onto a stereo AUX track for listening to the drums while editing the midi.
AUDIO track - Input: Bus 17. Output: Out 1 I would create a stereo AUDIO track set for the same inputs as the stereo AUX, or skip the AUX track altogether and use the AUDIO track, in record-ready and Input-Only monitoring selected. Once midi is edited to perfection, then I would change to Auto-Input monitoring and record the kit(you can always re-record later if you need to make changes)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks for your help.

I did not have the kit set up in MIDI Studio setup so I did that and left all channels lit. I changed my output on my MIDI track to this newly created device.

I am still getting nothing on both the AUX and AUDIO track. I changed the input on my AUDIO track to match the AUX but it didn't really matter. I left everything as mono tracks because I plan on splitting out the MIDI notes later on anyway and don't see the point to using stereo for that. Could this relate to my issue?

The TD9 brain does have a USB port, but I need to go out and buy the proper USB cable. I'm not sure if I can use this as a MIDI In though because I thought I read this could only be used for saving custom drumkits.

I wish I had some new info to give you but I'm at a loss. What else could be preventing me from sending the MIDI data to my kit and have it generate the sounds and shoot them back?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Well I figured out my problem - I had to run Pro Tools as an Administrator and it worked. Anyone have any ideas why this is the solution?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
Well I figured out my problem - I had to run Pro Tools as an Administrator and it worked. Anyone have any ideas why this is the solution?
You running Windows 7? That's always recommended

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You running Windows 7? That's always recommended
Yep I sure am.