Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Exclamation Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3

Hi Everyone !
I guess I should post this in MIDI section, but I thought that this is too important of an issue, and worth mentioning in broader LE forum. I have always had an issue while recording MIDI with sustain pedal. As I just play everything is fine. The second I start recording MIDI track, or Instrument track sustain pedal drops in and out randomly. I hoped that PT 8 software would solve the problem, but it didn't. Anyone else has this problem ? What's the reason for that ?
I've checked everything. The pedal itself is fine. MIDI In is plugged to DIGI 002R directly from the controller. I've tried also using USB MIDI interface ( MOTU Express XT). Also directly from USB out of the keyboard controller to the USB in of a computer. Disabling/ enabling MIDI THRU didn't help neither.
On a playback of recorded MIDI material everything seems to sound just fine. It happens only DURING recording, and quite frankly distracts seriously my performance.
Neither CUBASE, nor Logic cause this problem. And I use exactly the same setup. Only Pro Tools causes this problem.
Majority of MIDI piano tracks I record with Cubase, and than import MIDI data into PT session, but frankly it's a very annoying issue. I have to switch DAW for a stupid reason like this.
Any thoughts regarding any possible solution ?
Chris7514
PT 8.0.3 DIGI 002R
iMac i7 quad 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM. OS 10.6.2
Otherwise rock solid setup !
Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3

By the way : my system is brand new. No third party, nor any unsupported plug-ins at all. Just the regular, and approved ones : Omnisphere, Structure, RMX, Strike, Strum Acoustic, Symphonic Choirs, Goliath, EWQL plugs etc. And regular Pro Tools plug ins that come with the basic program PT 8.0.3 LE installation. That's it.
On my keyboard local is off. All by the book. I also looked into other posts regarding the issue. It seemed to me that others did have identical problems with sustain pedal with earlier versions of PT, but I didn't find anybody mentioning it yet with brand new out-of-the-box PT LE 8.0.3.
Chris 7514
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 AM

There is also a problem with a sustained silence from DigiTechSupt on this:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...n+pedal&page=3

It's crazy they don't address it as a priority.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Yes, digi is totally ignoring all of us on this issue. Also, some of us are a little bit guilty too by not posting more about it. Friend of mine for example uses PT. For sequencing he uses DP, and dumps the MIDI data into PT session. He never bothered to post about this... How many thousends of others are there that do not report ? It is a major issue. PT is also a tool for recording MIDI tracks. It is beyond me that Avid/Digi does not take seriously their users anymore.
Chris7514
Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM

What kind of keyboard controller are you using? Are you using a compatible sustain pedal for that type of keyboard?

I haven't had this problem at all and record a large amount of MIDI w/sustain control on a weekly basis in 8.0.3, so it might be something in your hardware chain that is behaving strangely. FWIW, I use a Axiom 61 w/direct USB connection for my MIDI controller.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM

+1 (and Digi pleeeeeeease get on this!)
I have had this exact issue for a while, and expected a fix with the latest (8.0.3) update. Playback is fine, but specifically during recording is when the sustain drops out. very distracting for piano especially. I have switched out several keyboard controllers (Alesis QS 8.1, 8.2, Casio PX320, Oxygen 8) with multiple pedals, and the issue persists during recording.
the home studio setup is similar to Chris7514, except I'm using an mbox2 pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
Hi Everyone !
I guess I should post this in MIDI section, but I thought that this is too important of an issue, and worth mentioning in broader LE forum. I have always had an issue while recording MIDI with sustain pedal. As I just play everything is fine. The second I start recording MIDI track, or Instrument track sustain pedal drops in and out randomly. I hoped that PT 8 software would solve the problem, but it didn't. Anyone else has this problem ? What's the reason for that ?
I've checked everything. The pedal itself is fine. MIDI In is plugged to DIGI 002R directly from the controller. I've tried also using USB MIDI interface ( MOTU Express XT). Also directly from USB out of the keyboard controller to the USB in of a computer. Disabling/ enabling MIDI THRU didn't help neither.
On a playback of recorded MIDI material everything seems to sound just fine. It happens only DURING recording, and quite frankly distracts seriously my performance.
Neither CUBASE, nor Logic cause this problem. And I use exactly the same setup. Only Pro Tools causes this problem.
Majority of MIDI piano tracks I record with Cubase, and than import MIDI data into PT session, but frankly it's a very annoying issue. I have to switch DAW for a stupid reason like this.
Any thoughts regarding any possible solution ?
Chris7514
PT 8.0.3 DIGI 002R
iMac i7 quad 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM. OS 10.6.2
Otherwise rock solid setup !

Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Slim Shady !
The issue has nothing to do with the type of keyboard controller or pedal. We have tried fifteen different keyboards and pedals with the setup including old beat up DX7 with only one channel transmitting at a time. It is NOT a hardware issue. It's strictly software.
The same setup works fine with Cubase and Logic. No pedal drop outs there.
Chris7514
Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 AM

Editing sustain data has become part of my workflow. It's ridiculous.

This is a call to arms (and feet) for all Keyboard players of the DUC with this problem: Let's keep this post going until we get some proper answers this time...
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Do you really think Digi will bother to answer to our problems ?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Objection overruled, as it just can't be sustained. Any PT users out there who don't have this issue using standard midi cables with, say, an 002r?