Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Default HTDM usage clarification on MIX system?runs for weeks/crash!

I've been scanning the DUC, but even with google,
I'm sure you're all aware DUC's search isn't the newest and greatest technology.

Anyway, I have a MIX+ system, and I'm actually a new protools TDM user.
I've had a mbox with 5.3.3 and I have m-powered with 7.3 so I'm somewhat familiar,
and I'm a long time native user of nuendo. Anyway, I'd like to think I have a clue or two.

Anyway here's the deal:

As far as I can tell my system is stable;
But I of course and running into the limitation of not being able to run RTAS
plugins on master faders or AUX's. I have a huge need to run OZONE HTDM on the master fader
every once in awhile for the phase meter and I occasionally like to reference with it's limiter and eq.

Ok, not to be long winded but;

I can get the system to run for days, even weeks, in phase canceled loops, with various loads.
All is peachy. I come back everything is fine, I have the system snapshotted, it's all cool.

I go to do a simple drum mix cool.

I when to do a simple bench mark on the number of rtas plugs of that rig vs my m-powered laptop
(which kick'd it's but btw)
and BAM. it freezez. and not just locks up the process. it freezez the screen and I have to hard
reset. I've been a PC guy now for 2 decades, and I can tell ya, it's rare my rigs get that screwy.
So, I've gone down to one core card, I'd swapped out for a d24 and a dsp farm and so on.
Anyway again, trying not to be long winded. Something I read about various HTDM plugs and something
somebody mentioned to me about "Digi said HTDM never worked "properly" "

----- ANSWER THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ MY BABBLE ----
So, the direct question is after ALL the duc searches all I can find is that:

That you can't let stream manager land on the first chip of the second card is all that I can gather.
And that you'd better save before you top out because if it recalculates the order it could crash.

Now in a nutshell is this the only thing I have to worry about with HTDM?

-------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. FWIW

I mean, this rig for me is great. I need a LOT of I/O's for external effects. I'd like to mix in the box. I have a decent24/8 board w/18 fx, I could use external monitoring and native or PT/le/ptmp. But
I chose the old mix rig on purpose. price only being part of it, I offloaded more expensive native stuff
I would really like to see digi offer a midrange native gear solution or for pete's sake' it's been forever; offer a steep paid upgrade for those loosers who didn't upgrade to HD. It's not like digi
cares who they piss off.

Anyway I'd greately apprecaite any answers; Finding only information is getting somewhat difficult; I would like to use this rig to track and somewhat mix; even if I end up doing a bunch of bounces to my laptop.
Thanks in advance.