Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2001, 09:05 AM

Default USD SMPTE timecode Output?

Is it possible to output SMPTE timecode from my USD to another system during a session. That is, I need to lock up my composer's Cubase/midi rig to my PT rig. The ProTools session is playing back a quicktime and a bunch of audio tracks. Can the USD generate/output it's own TC that works in time with the session. I just had a murderous session yesterday and I couldn't get this to work. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just expecting too much from a $!500 sync device!

I know the USD can generate TC, but is that only for striping a reel or a track or can it do what I'm asking?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Sincerrely,

Stephen

System:

G4-450-AGP/ 256MB RAM/OS9.04/ Mixplus/Extra MixFarm/ 888/ 1622/ USD/ MicroExpress/ ATTO DP SCSI Card/ Aurora Fuse Video Card/ Appian Dual Head Graphics/2-Glyph 9gig HD/ HUI

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 02-23-2001, 09:26 AM

Default Re: USD SMPTE timecode Output?

Yes. Your USD has to be config'd properly in the Peripherals setup window.

In the session setup window, select "Generate TC using USD"

The USD will output whatever TC you've got it set to in the Session Setup window and you then must (this probably foiled you yesterday) put Pro Tools ONLINE.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:23 PM

Still haven't found a solution for this problem. The TC display on the USD is following playback in PT but no TC is sent from the USD to an external system. (I have the USD in "Genereate" mode) And yes, I have the system online.

Can anyone help.

Thanks,

Stephen

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 03-08-2001, 07:07 PM

Sounds like you might need a Audio Distribution box. I too need to sync a few things. Protools, a Unitor 8mkII, Soundscape SSHDR+1 and a Brc with ADAT"s. I run the time code out of the USD to an Aphex Distribution box. From there I feed 3 sources the time code track. Works like a charm. Sounds like the problem is Re-Generation for the USD. A Distro Box would help. Or a device like the MIDIMAN SYNCMAN PRO (Which I own) that will also do regeneration........

Rob
Old 03-08-2001, 07:08 PM

Bye the way, Everything is Clocked to an Aardsync Master Clock as well.

Rob
Old 03-08-2001, 10:22 PM

Hi pnoise,
You may have already stated this, but, do you have the GENERATING system online as well? That's the only way the USD will actually be outputting the timecode as it's playing the session. Works great. Hope this helps, good luck.

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 03-10-2001, 02:44 AM

pnoise ..
sounds like a problem with the receiving machine ..make sure it's set to receive smpte
Old 03-12-2001, 07:48 AM

I am sure that the recieving system (cubase rig) is set to recieve SMPTE (frame rates are correect, etc.) I can get the cubase system to chase TC sent from the USD when I do the following:

1) In the Session Setup Window:
-Generate TC is disabled
-Clock Reference is set to Video Ref.
-Positional Ref. is set to Serial TC
2) Machine (Sony 3/4 BVU-950 VTR) is online
3) Transport is set to ProTools
4) I have a 3/4 video tape in the deck for viewing.

I wonder why I can get an external system to chase TC when I am viewing video from the 3/4. The TC coming out from the USD goes directly to the external cubase system. It doesn't pass through the 3/4 deck in any way. Could it have something to do with positional reference genereated by the 3/4 and sent to the USD. (BTW: TC out of the 3/4 deck goes to the TC input of the USD) I'm really confused. I want to be able to work off quicktime as opposed to 3/4 (Saves my 3/4 transport and it's generally faster to work with)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Stephen

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 03-12-2001, 09:14 AM

Try these:

Lets check you don't have a fault with your USD. Quit ProTools. The Remote Mode LED on the front of your USD should go out. On the USD front panel, hit the switch to the left of Positional Reference to toggle through to Generate. Also make sure your clock reference and Frame rate are set correctly - with the front panel buttons.

00:00:00:00 should be in your window. Set your Cubase Rig to receive 00 hour timecode and put it on line. Hit the Run/Stop button on the front panel of the USD.

The USD should start generating timecode and your Cubase rig should lock up. If this is OK, carry on.

Lets check the serial connection from your Generating ProTools core card to the USD.

Start a ProTools session. the remote mode LED should come on when Pro Tools starts. If so, open your session setup window and change a few parameters (Frame rate, Clock reference etc) and check the front panel of the USD just to make sure ProTools is controlling the USD.

If so, one more time, check your session start times, frame rates and clock references match on your Generating ProTools and your Cubase session. Your Cubase session is set to receive LTC timecode.

On the Generating ProTools check Generate Timecode using USD box in the session setup window. Hit Cmd-J to put it on line and hit play.

USD should start generating Timecode.