Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Re: SPDIF reamping: Output Not showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMacki View Post
I stumbled on this thread trying to find a similar answer. Not new to Pro Tools but new to Mbox.

So if I understand correctly, Mbox2 only has ONE stereo output? and either it is analog or mirrored S/PDIF?

I'm trying to insert an L2 (hardware) on an AUX mastering channel through S/PDIF and I'm having the same issue. I can see 3&4 inputs on S/PDIF in the I/O but only 1&2 on the output in the I/O Setup page.
Yep, that's the way it is.... and back to the original reamp issue, its clear now that with the S/PDIF and analog outputs tied together the Mbox 2 has a problem doing this. however you could reamp a mono dry track from say S/PDIF Out/L, bring it back in on S/PDIF in L (or R) and then listen to the result on the Monitors (main out) R. Or you could "fly blind" reamp via S/PDIF and connect speakers monitors to the AXE-FX directly and use that to judge the tone you are getting. Capture it back into the Mbox and then connect the Monitors back there for mixing. A monitor switch box would help. None of this is optimal and just shows the Mbox2 is pretty inflexible.

In this case if you are driving an L2 likely in stereo and you really want to hear what it is doing to the mix so you'll be screwed. If you have an L2 box you probalby can afford a better interface than a Mbox2, or go the software limiter route.

Darryl
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep, that's the way it is.... //

In this case if you are driving an L2 likely in stereo and you really want to hear what it is doing to the mix so you'll be screwed. If you have an L2 box you probalby can afford a better interface than a Mbox2, or go the software limiter route.

Darryl
Ha! I thought so. To make a long story short, my main gear HD3Accel is at another location(room) making me some $. For now I'm stuck with Mbox2.
Life is grand!

I'll probably fly blind and test but with deliveries to airwaves I'll have to verify at some point!

Looks like I need my main gear back with me...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM

And BTW thanks for helping with the original question, I should have just given that clearer answer earlier.

Darryl
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Thank you Darryl!

It was your post that made me realize the limitations of Mbox2.

For the sake of the thread my solution will be to do all ITB until I can get my HD gear back.
I have to be able to have confidence monitoring.