Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Big troubles with midi tracks

hi. I've big problems with midi (both midi and instr) tracks: PT don't receive midi very often, to work with that tracks I must quit, trash the PT prefs and restart (and sometimes this workaround don't work).

Can you help me in someway?

Thank you
Old 01-30-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Big troubles with midi tracks

Quote:
hi. I've big problems with midi (both midi and instr) tracks: PT don't receive midi very often, to work with that tracks I must quit, trash the PT prefs and restart (and sometimes this workaround don't work).

Thank you
Hi Riccardo,

I would consider trashing the AMS prefs Mack HD/users/your name/library/prefs/com.apple.audio.midisetup.

Then you'll have to rebuild your AMS midi setup.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you
Hi Riccardo,

I would consider trashing the AMS prefs Mack HD/users/your name/library/prefs/com.apple.audio.midisetup.

Chris
done. trashing the midisetup don't delete it in the AMS. SO I made another AMS, but it doesn't solve the problem. I've clients in the studio and it's very bad to have protools don't responding to midi!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:

Chris
done. trashing the midisetup don't delete it in the AMS. SO I made another AMS, but it doesn't solve the problem. I've clients in the studio and it's very bad to have protools don't responding to midi!!!

[/QUOTE]

Hi Riacrdo,

Did you trash the AMS prefs as above? this should have removed all your midi studio setup!! so you then have to rebuild the midi studio etc?? sorry, i was confused by your reply as to whether you did or didn't trash the AMS prefs. this would be the main thing to do incase the AMS as become corrupt!!

What midi interface are you using? reinstall the drivers?? check all the cables? replace the cables? midi socked on your keyboard dodgy dry connection?

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 AM

What Midi Interface are you using ?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Another solution (and I have been having a similar issue intermittently for years) is to get in the habit of launching AMS BEFORE pt or any other music related application. Then do a quick midi test in AMS, if midi is coming and going, then go ahead and launch PT. Let's put it another way -- if AMS can't see midi, then PT surely can't. By doing it this way it ensures that the OS sees midi and it eliminates the headaches of "is it on" when you use mid in PT. Ideal? No. A sure thing? Yes. Try it

PS -- my interface is a Digi MIDI i/o, hardwired to a G5 2.7DP 10.4.8 - 20' USB cable. No hub. Not powered.

PPS -- once I do this, I never lose MIDI.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:35 AM

I also experience this every now and then, and use a variation of Jeremy's suggestion. After record-enabling a midi track, I always check to see if the midi velocity meter is showing activity before I start recording the first take.

If it doesn't, I go into my midi studio setup. There I will find a greyed out midi interface icon. Then I turn the MOTU Timepiece off/on, and the icon will change to active again. I think Jeremy's solution is better.

Haven't had this issue on 7.3 yet though.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Avid

Here's an expanded version of Chris's recommendation, which has helped many customer with strange MIDI issues:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

If that doesn't help, we need to know which MIDI interface you're using and if it has the most current driver installed.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM

i'm using midi i/O. i noticed that when i've problems it's not recognized by its software as well...

everything's updated
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM

I followed all of what you suggest me, but I'm having the problem at least 2 times a day