Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Default D-Command (Internal Talkback)

Hi,

Ive recently installed my D-command 24, im having some issues with the internal talkback, basically it doesnt work or i can only get a very small amount of output from it with the internal talkback.

At about -19db on TB, i start to hear hiss/white noise (awful), and this just increases until about +3db (shocking level of noise at this point) but i can now hear extremely faintly the internal talkback mic pick something up if for example I gently tap on the main unit below the time code display. But it fails to pick up speech/any other noise at all.

Can someone confirm this is normal? Has the internal mic come loose? I can see into the unit via the 6 holes next to the output meters below the time code options.

I have the stock XMON cable that came with the unit, i have the external talkback set to ext-inf, so its neither of those two.

Thanks
-- Craig
Old 06-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: D-Command (Internal Talkback)

I suggest you contact Digi tech support.

This sound similar to an issue I have seen on some D-Controls where the polarity of the talkback mic was reversed.

Give them a holla. I'm sure they will get it sorted for you quick/smart.

Cheers
New Zealand
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

This has turned into a sega, after getting support for my d-command 24 (registering the product), i have a case open.

The UK Support team make me do the following checks:

- reset the main unit and fader unit
- reset the Xmon interface
- verify the external talk works (which is does perfectly)
- all the pinouts appear 100% on the standard stock 9pin serial cable from the main fader unit to the xmon interface.

Which is all very reasonable and basically shows that the only problem is the internal talkback.

Im being told at our expense and downtime I must send the unit away for repair, now, im a little concerned because obviously this is warranty issue, its not our fault, it came out of the box not working.

I was given very little information about third party repair, i wasnt told any details whatsoever, nothing.

- no idea about turn around
- no mention if onsite repair was a possibility
- no acceptance this is a hardware fault and digidesign is responsible,

Just be aware if you buying a d-comamnd or d-control the shocking lack of interest shown by the support team for customers costly interruptions to there business/considerable expense, most pi$$ed off with it, i'm small company with tight budgets and to get treated like we are having a problem with a £100 plugin, not a £20k desk just adds to the hassle this is causing.

-- Craig
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM

There has got to be more to this story than this. I had a small issue with my D-Command and we had someone offering to either come and fix it or have Digi pay for overnight shipping to and from with a day or two turn around. Is there anything else going on???
Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
There has got to be more to this story than this. I had a small issue with my D-Command and we had someone offering to either come and fix it or have Digi pay for overnight shipping to and from with a day or two turn around. Is there anything else going on???
Perhaps im not sure, all i can say if i was AIR studios or some celebrity endorse it would be a totally different story, but im just a normal customer

Things are progressing now, getting the support i expect, information is flowing and getting answers and service. So hopefully should get this fixed.

-- Craig
Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Hi Craig
I am experiecing the same issue with noisy intarnal talkback. did you ever get it resolved
any help would be much appreciated
Scott
Old 12-03-2007, 02:41 AM

Have the same problem here. Have both hiss and some constant tone on the talkbackchannel and headphones (the outlet on the console) .

Very interested if you solve this issue

regards
Benny
Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM

I have to D-Commands from 2006. Both have same terrible talkback issues. Used a D-Control down at "The Dubbing Brothers" in Burbank last year for ADR and had the same issues.

I now use an external talk back mic and it sounds great. The internal one basically sucks.

My 2 cents

Mike
Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I now use an external talk back mic and it sounds great. The internal one basically sucks.

me too. Shame considering what we paid for this stuff.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.