Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Default Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Just getting started with the DAPS and I think I have everything figured out except...how to record the mix to the renderer. The record button on the rendered is grayed out, and I have not been able to figure out what to do to get it to record. Also, is the rendered timecode supposed to 'chase' the Pro-Tools timeocde? mine rendered is not chasing Pro-Tools in terms of the timecode.

I am using the Atmos Send and Return workflow for home theatre. I do get the input of Objects and Beds in to the rendered, shows levels, shows objects lighting up, shows ojbects in the room diagram, and it plays back the sound (I think it is called direct monitoring) through my studio speakers (I have a 7.1.2 set up). All of my speakers play the sound correctly as I automate with the panners.

How to get the rendered to record the mix?

Thanks
G
Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Make sure you're in input mode and not master mode. Create a new master file, and make sure the online clock is highlighted so the renderer will chase timecode.

Curious to know what you're using as a monitor controller.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Make sure you're in input mode and not master mode. Create a new master file, and make sure the online clock is highlighted so the renderer will chase timecode.

Curious to know what you're using as a monitor controller.
Thank you, just figured it out. The 'create new file' on the rendered was always grayed out, so I re-red the manual, and kept finding it was never available, always grayed out. Then I decided to try the key stroke short cut command instead to 'create new master file recording', instead of accessing it from the windows menu of the rendered, this worked instantly. So for some reason, when I first opened the rendered the create file command from the windows menu is grayed out (or was grayed out may it is fine now, I have not checked it). Once I used the shorcut this made the create file accessible and was able to record the test mix to the rendered and played it back from the renderer...all is good. I find there are a few quirky things that are either not clear on the manual or not intuitive, so it took me a couple of days to understand some of these things, but it is all becoming much clearer now. I am also finding out that I can probably use 32 objects at most, "simpler mixes". My system is just not powerful enough, I run out of DSP very fast. I could buy another HDX card, but that means adding a magma chassis because myPCIe are full. I'll just wait for the new Macs to come out...if they ever come out.

As far as controller, I don't have one as I was working on 5.1 until now. I will absolutely need to get a controller to be able to easily listen to the re-renders from Atmos to 5.1 (most of my work will still be 5.1).