Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Default Melodyne 3.32 Editor 1.011 and PT8

I'm new using Melodyne editor. I can get a PT8 track loaded and then edit the blobs
but how do I transfer the edited material to the track and then close the editor plugin?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Melodyne 3.32 Editor 1.011 and PT8

Route the output of the audio track to the input of a new audio track and record it to the new track.

You could also try Osman Kent's track-freeze work-around. I haven't heard any reports of whether or not it still works in PT8.
http://www.songphonic.com/ProToolsTutorials

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 PM

That all works, but here's what I do. In the edit window, I create a blank audio track next to the track I have tuned and place the cursor near where the audio starts. Next, I go to Melodyne and hit File>Save Audio>make sure the check box is checked for "Spot to Pro Tools) and hit Save(or OK). Your tuned audio will appear starting exactly where you left the cursor in PT. Now I use Tab to Transient to find the first transient of the new audio and cut. The highlight the new audio and copy, then use tab to transient to find the same leading edge on your original track and hit Paste. The tuned audio will spot exactly in the proper time(remember to bypass or remove the Melodyne Bridge plugin). It sounds convoluted, but after a few times, it becomes second nature. The reason I usually don't bus and record is; I usually have a bunch of other plugins on the track and that would record all of them, or require me to bypass and put the fader at -0(and turn off any automation I may have written already). You can't just select Pre-fade on the bus as that would be pre-plugins as well.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You can't just select Pre-fade on the bus as that would be pre-plugins as well.
Yes you can. I assume you mean pre-fade on the send. This is exactly how I print Melodyne every time. I bypass any other plug-ins and print with the send being set to 0 and Pre-Fader. Then I make sure that "envelope follows region" command is turned off and drag the pitch corrected region to my audio track on a new playlist.

My understanding of Prefader is after inserts, before Mute and Fader.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Forgive me if I'm ignorant on this one since I have yet to upgrade to Melodyne Editor, but can you do the whole save and spot thing with the plugin?

_

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Which version of Melodyne are you using cause I have yet to see spot to Protools, This is the newer version of Melodyne and I think they scrapped that. Thanks for the reply though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That all works, but here's what I do. In the edit window, I create a blank audio track next to the track I have tuned and place the cursor near where the audio starts. Next, I go to Melodyne and hit File>Save Audio>make sure the check box is checked for "Spot to Pro Tools) and hit Save(or OK). Your tuned audio will appear starting exactly where you left the cursor in PT. Now I use Tab to Transient to find the first transient of the new audio and cut. The highlight the new audio and copy, then use tab to transient to find the same leading edge on your original track and hit Paste. The tuned audio will spot exactly in the proper time(remember to bypass or remove the Melodyne Bridge plugin). It sounds convoluted, but after a few times, it becomes second nature. The reason I usually don't bus and record is; I usually have a bunch of other plugins on the track and that would record all of them, or require me to bypass and put the fader at -0(and turn off any automation I may have written already). You can't just select Pre-fade on the bus as that would be pre-plugins as well.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 AM

I own, yet haven't played with Melodyne editor plugin more than a few times during sessions. I didn't remember seeing Spot to Pro Tools even in the new plugin. That feature is available in the standalone Editor and Studio. I stopped using md as a plugin long ago because of tempo changes and timeline shifts making things wonky. The standalone guys (editor and studio) can still Spot to PT...

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Yah, albee1952 was talking about the Melodyne Bridge plugin, not the Melodyne Plugin. That's the one, obviously, that you use to bridge the standalone, which has spot capability, to P Tools.

My workflow is to record the vocal onto an audio track, edit ect. and then copy the final performance to the Melodyne Plugin which is already on an adjacent audio track that is bussed back to the vocal track which has plugins on it and which I keep in input while editing in Melodyne. After finishing the tuning and timing I just record the finished product back onto a new playlist on the vocal track. Pretty straight ahead.

Also, as for Melodyne Editor, I've read mostly complaints about it's performance in P Tools. I would stick with the previous plugin for now. When I tried Editor it worked OK on super clean source material but on anything even remotely distorted, like a guitar, it was not happening at all. It doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between harmonic distortion and harmonic pitch information. Even the old plugin sometimes has trouble with grittier vocal tones but it's possible to work around it a bit. Not so with distorted multi-timbrel sources in the Editor version.