Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2001, 10:39 PM

Default My CS-10 controller occasionally lags

I'm running PT 5.0.1 on a beige 266 MHz G3 (OS 8.6), and I've noticed that when I'm mixing with my CS-10/2 controller, occasionally the moves I do with the faders are not communicated to the computer (i. e., the onscreen faders do not move and the volume does not change). Is this just the nature of controllers going in through a printer port? I have checked all the OMS set ups and preferences, and I believe I've adjusted them properly.

------------------
Old 02-03-2001, 06:01 AM

Default Re: My CS-10 controller occasionally lags

Remember that the Cs-10/2 faders are not expected to trigger "real" fader movement until the CS-10 fader has been dragged past the null point. This is to prevent unwanted volume changes they wern't deliberately intended. Once the null has been crossed, the CS-10 fader acts pretty conventionally.

I wouldn't have used the term "lag" to describe this. Does this address your problem, or is it something else?

John Caldwell
Old 02-03-2001, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do keep an eye on where the null points are. What happens occasionally for me is that the software "loses track" of the faders. I can move them the full extent of the range, up and down, and the system doesn't follow them. Even with PT at rest (not playing audio). Strangely, this mostly occurs with the stereo pair I've set up for channels 3 and 4 or 5 and 6. After this occurs, I seem to be able to "reset" the controller by moving the faders onscreen with the mouse or sometimes simply by jumping to a location point. Then everything works fine. I'm wondering if maybe the MIDI channel gets too congested and data is getting lost.

I wouldn't have used the term "lag" to describe this. Does this address your problem, or is it something else?

John Caldwell[/B][/QUOTE]

Old 02-03-2001, 10:19 AM

You're out of my league. It does sound like a data transmssion limitation. I'll guess that fader data, because there are so many shades of grey, may be more burdensome than other controller "On vs. OFF" data. Do your other CS-10 commands work correctly? For what it's worth, my CS-10/2 faders behave correctly in the setting of G4 with MOTO MIDI Timepiece USB interface.

John Caldwell
Old 02-03-2001, 11:19 AM

The other thing you might look into is the time out factor. If you stop moving the faders for X amount of time PT takes over and you have to re-null the fader. This has happened to me when I'm moving the faders "too slowly" the only work around is to go into Write as oposed to Touch mode.
SK
Old 02-05-2001, 05:51 AM
Avid

Noiz2,
-You might want to increase the Touch Timeout value in the Setups>Preferences>Automation window and see if that helps.

Brent
Old 02-05-2001, 04:48 PM

Actually, this loss of fader tracking can occur either in or out of automation mode, so I don't think it's a timing out issue or a null point issue. It simply seems as though the controller data hasn't been read.
Old 02-05-2001, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Noiz2,
-You might want to increase the Touch Timeout value in the Setups>Preferences>Automation window and see if that helps.

Brent
Thanks Brent.. what I realy want to be able to do is only posable with "touch sensitive" faders, alas alot more than I can pay. but I love my CS10-2 anyway for the things it does do.

I do have one weirdness though mode select led's get all out of sync with reality (showing solo when the mode is actualy mute etc) nobody has been able to figure it out.. cooper has even gone over it. Probably something weird with my system but everthing else is fine?? go figure.
SK