Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 PM

Default NO Inputs Working with 7.1.1 CoreAudio on 002R

PT7.1.1 seems to work fine for record and playback. BUT Coreaudio is not working correctly.
When I first started iTunes one channel of stereo pair was inverted at the headphone output of the 002R. I loaded a session inported a commercial stereo recording and needed to invert one channel for correct playback.

Another issue is I cannot get input from the 002R in Garageband or with MacFOH. These are both Rosetta Apps. Instead of audio input I get a broadband noise.

I am using a MacMini Intel Solo.

Any ideas Digi?

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 06-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: NO Inputs Working with 7.1.1 CoreAudio on 002R

Hi Steve,

Try manually launching the "Digi CoreAudio Manager" app (in Applications/Digidesign/) first, then launching the audio app (like MacFOH.) I think there's a bug with input with Rosetta apps that only happens when the Manager app is "auto-launched" by the audio app. If you manually launch the Manager app first then I think input will be fine.

Digi-Eng
Old 06-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks for responding. I tried this as you suggested but it still does not work. I also tried restarting the computer, fixing permissions and cycling power on the 002R.

Anymore ideas? I have the same problem with garageband (the only other app I have on this machine with input).

Thanks
Steve Devino
1-603-867-6843
Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm experiencing a similar problem with iMovie HD. I'm trying to record video into iMovie HD through the internal iSight and want to record audio through the 002R. I'm only getting static. iMovie HD is a universal binary. I am also getting total static through GarageBand. Audio output to the 002R only works half the time. Maybe I should uninstall PT and install again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I've noticed in the CoreAudio documentation that the Mbox2 kernel extension only works with the Mbox2. I have a 002R, but in /System/Library/Extensions/, I have Digidesign.Mbox2.kext instead of what I would assume should be Digidesign.002.kext. I think this might have something to do with it. I also have an app that launches at startup called mbox2cs, instead of what I would assume should be 002cs, or something to that effect. I can't seem to find anything in the Pro Tools 7.1.1 installer that will let me choose which drivers I want to install (I believe those were the "good old days" of v.6). However, the CoreAudio documentation has not been updated since 7.0 came out, unless I downloaded the wrong installer (I got it here: http://www.digidesign.com/download/711/sw/#1 ) and got old documentation. Perhaps the Intel version only uses the mbox2.kext for all hardware? I can't tell due to a total lack of updated docs.

There is a separate installer in the Pro Tools installer package for the Digidesign CoreAudio driver. Right-click on the installer and go to "Show package contents." Then go to Contents/Packages/ and you'll see Digidesign CoreAudio.pkg. Let me know if you have any luck with that! I'm going to see if I can't get this working on my own. I've waited this long, I guess I can wait til Monday to see if Digi will respond.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 PM

I've done a little research and here's what I've found:

- Inside the Pro Tools 7.1.1 installer is the Digi CoreAudio installer. Inside the Digi CoreAudio installer is a file called Archive.pax.gz. Inside that file is everything that the CoreAudio installer could possibly install. It contains the kernel extensions, frameworks, drivers, blah blah blah for ALL 7.1.1-compatible hardware.

- Running the Digi CoreAudio installer on its own installs /System/Library/Extensions/DigiIO.kext, DigiDAL.kext, and the mbox2 drivers. It also installs the mbox2 startup items, which it shouldn't. I think I had to manually copy the DigidesignLoader folder into my StartupItems folder. I also had to manually delete the mbox2 loader, preference pane, and kernel extensions.

- Running the CoreAudio installer on its own kinda screws up the PACE Anti-Piracy installation, so I re-installed Pro Tools without installing the CoreAudio driver because the Pro Tools installer runs through the PACE installer properly. Now, I get the proper amount of inputs/outputs in the CoreAudio Manager.app (I had 10 instead of 18... the mbox2 has 10), so it's obvious that the Manager.app thought I had an mbox2 attached to the computer.

- Inside the installer packages, there are a bunch of perl files that run permission fixes on the files/folders. This is normal.

It is obvious to me that the CoreAudio installer has some issues. Or, perhaps my 002 thinks it's an mbox2 and is leading a double life. Running ps -ax in Terminal no longer shows mbox2cs, which is good. I don't think my machine thinks the 002 is an mbox2 anymore. But, I'm still only getting static.

I have a feeling that this hardware confusion is what caused my computer to kernel panic a few times when I first installed Pro Tools. I wish I could say that doing all the above crap fixed my issues, but it didn't. However, you might have better luck. I hope you do.

Digi... any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 AM

Bump...

Digi, any suggestions on getting the drivers to install correctly?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:07 PM

bump. i am having the same problem. please help.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:32 PM

Digi, do you have any pointers on getting the CoreAudio driver to work with other apps? I can't get inputs or outputs to work properly with anything other than Pro Tools (though, my testing in PT is limited). I am running a standard Tiger install, standard hardware, no strange/beta software/hardware installed. Any word on what drivers I should have in my kernel extensions folder? Should any background apps be running? Is there any software other than OS X 10.4.6 that's required? Quicktime 7.1.1?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 PM

Having the smae problems with the core audio driver as well. My Mbox 1 workd fine in protools 7.1.1 but the core audio driver wont work in any aplucation just get noise.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM

Bump

i'm having the same problem.
(im using 002 le 7.1.1 OSX 10.4.6)

Please Help?

GOD BLESS!!!!