Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
like I said it's my grip
they talk tech but won't show hard proof
if you have a microphone repaired or modified by a reputable shop, you get a measurement report back with it, usually done on an Audio Precision box
personally I want the same from anyone talking as much as they do, every thing they talk about is measurable
Great idea on the loaner Re. specs and measurements, that's really where faith and hearing come into play as 2 pieces can spec the same, yet sound quite different.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM

You want to know the part that proves to me that it's 100% snake oil?

"Please note: Due to such high demand and because of our tight production schedule, we will charge a cancellation fee (30% of your down payment amount) if you cancel your appointment for modification once it has been scheduled."

1) I seriously doubt that 99% of us could hear any difference at all in this modification.

2) ridiculously overpriced for a fractional, if even noticeable, improvement.

3) IF they're in such demand, they shouldn't care less if you cancel your mod 'appointment' as they have seemingly hundreds of people lining up for their amazing mod.

I've always been super skeptical about things like this. The Omni is a great device as is. No way what they're offering could be worth that much.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Sorry to say Tim, but ur way off. Of course ur entitled to ur opinion but I know for a sure fact, as well as many others that their talk is backed up, which is why they stay booked (wouldn't u think?) & how many complaints have u seen?..

But like I said, if u feel that way, fine by me :)

Sent from Da GS3 On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
You want to know the part that proves to me that it's 100% snake oil?

"Please note: Due to such high demand and because of our tight production schedule, we will charge a cancellation fee (30% of your down payment amount) if you cancel your appointment for modification once it has been scheduled."

1) I seriously doubt that 99% of us could hear any difference at all in this modification.

2) ridiculously overpriced for a fractional, if even noticeable, improvement.

3) IF they're in such demand, they shouldn't care less if you cancel your mod 'appointment' as they have seemingly hundreds of people lining up for their amazing mod.

I've always been super skeptical about things like this. The Omni is a great device as is. No way what they're offering could be worth that much.
Considering that Black Lion has a great reputation, and their mods and standalone products are quite popular, I'd say calling the Omni mod "100% snake oil" is a tad harsh.
I had an 003 modded by them, and the sonic difference was dramatic.
I have a friend who has a modded 192, which he is extremely pleased with.
I have several friends that have BL Micro clocks, and they're all pleased.

As I said earlier, folks who've had this particular mod done will tell the tale on this particular mod, not those who think this, or speculate that, or think it'd be better to buy better bass traps.

Black Lion is a successful business for a reason...they deliver great products.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Re: Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Considering that Black Lion has a great reputation, and their mods and standalone products are quite popular.

Black Lion is a successful business for a reason...they deliver great products.
What he said!

I, on blind faith, bought http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=39Black lion's EQ...

I was/am extremely impressed with it. I didn't hear any thing on it before I bought it other than a short YouTube clip. I bought it because of my prior experience, & most of all their reputation & what they had to say about it...

Sent from Da GS3 On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

As a former BLA modded 002, I agree. Their mods make a difference. Whether or not it's worth it is a personal decision. I thought the HD mod I had done was. And had the offered the higher level mods for the 002 console I would have considered it. However with support for the 002 being dropped soon I decided to move on. I'm glad I did.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

I'll chime in as i have the Microclock mkii from black lion. I guess this can be considered a semi mod.
Originally bought it for when i had the mbox 2 pro and mbox pro. Also tested it on my omni.
It gave my vocal recordings a little bit more detail, depth and stereo width.
Nothing radical but noticable.

However after it suddenly started making a fizzing sound and smoke and liquid suddenly started coming out of it desember last year i quickly pulled out the power, scared it would explode or start a fire.
A bad experience for shure!

Also when i bought it about 3 years ago it did not come with any power.
There is no description on the box so no way of knowing what power it takes.
Had to email black lion to get the information. I se its on their website now.
Well it wouldn't hurt putting that information on the box itself!

I have not contacted black lion about this yet but i will as soon as i get the time.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Default Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I'll chime in as i have the Microclock.......
It gave my vocal recordings a little bit more detail, depth and stereo width.
Nothing radical but noticable..
Same here for my PM8 Summing mixer more stereo width, and depth - not radical but definitely noticeable a good noticeable
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
As a former BLA modded 002, I agree. Their mods make a difference. Whether or not it's worth it is a personal decision. I thought the HD mod I had done was. And had the offered the higher level mods for the 002 console I would have considered it. However with support for the 002 being dropped soon I decided to move on. I'm glad I did.
My bla modded 002 was a night and day difference. Mine was the first package they had. I am sure the later versions were even better. I have total faith in what they can do. For me now though w a 16x16, the mod is over 2k, and honestly its not worth it to me to spend that on it. It's a great sounding interface.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
My bla modded 002 was a night and day difference. Mine was the first package they had. I am sure the later versions were even better. I have total faith in what they can do. For me now though w a 16x16, the mod is over 2k, and honestly its not worth it to me to spend that on it. It's a great sounding interface.
Can agree with everything here!