Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-16-2021, 02:56 AM

Default How to Use Pro Tools Ultimate with Yamaha Piano Keyboard?

Do I need to download any "Instrument plugins" or "MIDI plugins" at all, in order to use Pro Tools Utimate which is installed on my computer (PC specs below), which has a Yamaha keyboard attached (plugged in) to it? Thanks in advance for helping me & others with problems/inquiries and more here.

My Computer specs: HP ALL-in-One
512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (HP)
Motherboard: HP 8430 (P0)
CPU: AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
Old 05-16-2021, 03:47 AM

Default Re: How to Use Pro Tools Ultimate with Yamaha Piano Keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingMeme View Post
Do I need to download any "Instrument plugins" or "MIDI plugins" at all, in order to use Pro Tools Utimate which is installed on my computer (PC specs below), which has a Yamaha keyboard attached (plugged in) to it? Thanks in advance for helping me & others with problems/inquiries and more here.

My Computer specs: HP ALL-in-One
First you need to connect the MIDI output of your keyboard to your computer. Not a Windows user but I think there's some setup work that needs to be done in either Windows or PT. You need to have a vi (virtual instrument) on an instrument track insert that would be triggered by your MIDI keyboard.

You would do well to read the PT manual. There used to be a book called 'PT101 courseware' or some such. It was a very basic book for newbies which is what you sound like. I'm taking a guess but I gather you've done no recording with a computer before. Going with PT Ultimate on a first time basis is gutsy. Much luck in your endeavors.

QAPLA!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 AM

Would I need to download ANY of these plugins on Windows 10 (Home-edition) of Pro Tools Ultimate to finally play & record my USB-MIDI Piano Keyboard: Yamaha PSR-E353)? Does Pro Tools Ultimate already have these plugins, especially the following "First" AIR Plugins:

First AIR Effects Bundle 18.8.1 Installer (Win) 98.08 MB
HEAT Option Guide V1.0 E (PDF) 222 KB
Audio Plug-ins 10.2 Guide (PDF) 12.25 MB
First AIR Instruments Bundle 18.10 Installer (Win) 1.25 GB
First AIR Instruments 2018.3 Win (ZIP) 1.25 GB
XPand!2 2018.10 (Win) 1.23 GB
Graphic EQ 12.0 (Win) 2.77 MB
Eleven Effects Bundle 18.8 (WIN) 41.25 MB

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks for telling me about the courseware. I've only did some recordings of vocals and MIDI keyboard in a Mac-compatible DAW software in college & a friend's music studio recently, but I have never recorded my own piano keyboards with Pro Tools Ultimate. Thanks in advance for answers to plugin-related & Windows-related questions.

Last edited by LivingMeme; 05-16-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Asked plugin-related & Windows-related questions
Old 05-16-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Would I need to download ANY of these plugins on Windows 10 (Home-edition) of Pro Tools Ultimate to finally play & record my USB-MIDI Piano Keyboard: Yamaha PSR-E353)? Does Pro Tools Ultimate already have these plugins, especially the following "First" AIR Plugins:

First AIR Effects Bundle 18.8.1 Installer (Win) 98.08 MB
HEAT Option Guide V1.0 E (PDF) 222 KB
Audio Plug-ins 10.2 Guide (PDF) 12.25 MB
First AIR Instruments Bundle 18.10 Installer (Win) 1.25 GB
First AIR Instruments 2018.3 Win (ZIP) 1.25 GB
XPand!2 2018.10 (Win) 1.23 GB
Graphic EQ 12.0 (Win) 2.77 MB
Eleven Effects Bundle 18.8 (WIN) 41.25 MB

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks for telling me about the courseware. I've only did some recordings of vocals and MIDI keyboard in a Mac-compatible DAW software in college & a friend's music studio recently, but I have never recorded my own piano keyboards with Pro Tools Ultimate. Thanks in advance for answers to plugin-related & Windows-related questions.
I would download & install the instruments and effects. Keep in mind that you can use third party instruments & effects as long as they have aax versions which most do these days. Most s/w is Mac compatible - which one did you use? The only one that I know of that does not have a Windows version is Logic (which is Mac only).

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:02 AM

I appreciate the advice! I downloaded all of the plugins, which I listed above. I'm using Pro Tools on a Windows 10 OS (specs below).

Please tell me how to get Pro Tools 2021 Ultimate to detect, play & record with Yamaha PSR-E353 piano keyboard?

HP ALL-in-One
Old 05-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the advice! I downloaded all of the plugins, which I listed above. I'm using Pro Tools on a Windows 10 OS (specs below).

Please tell me how to get Pro Tools 2021 Ultimate to detect, play & record with Yamaha PSR-E353 piano keyboard?

HP ALL-in-One
Depends on what you mean by 'detect, play and record' you mean. For MIDI you need to connect the MIDI output from the keyboard through some type of MIDI interface to the computer. Same thing for play. What do you mean by record? Record what - MIDI or audio? I just outlined what you need to do for MIDI. As for audio from the Yamaha you need to connect the audio outputs through a real audio interface to the computer. That Realtek you have won't do.

You really need to get an introductory book on how Things work vis-a-vis PT. Here's a link to an older book talking about working with PT 11 but most of the concepts still pertain to today's PT. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-101.../dp/1285774841

QAPLA!