Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Default PT9 Command 8 with another control surface

So Pro Tools 9 opens up more questions about control surface support. According to this document http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353801
You can use the Command 8 with another ethernet control surface, now with support for Eucon, does this mean we can use the command 8 with the MC Mix?
I was also wondering if PT9 opens up any options for using 2 midi control surfaces together, ie, 2 command 8's, command 8 with MCU etc. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Default Re: PT9 Command 8 with another control surface

bump
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Avid

Sorry about the delay in getting to this one - I've had a huge queue to try to get through since Pro Tools 9 launched.

The short answer to your question is 'Yes', though you can't use 2 C|8's together. You can, however, use a C|8 with MC Mix, MC Control, etc.

Here's how I would use it - go to Peripherals>MIDI Controllers and enable the C|8 in the first slot.

If you have an MC Mix, MC Control, etc. attached go to Peripherals>Ethernet Controllers and enable EuCon.

I'm working with an MC Mix, and MC Control and a Command|8 attached. Once you do the above, you'll see that all 3 units show the first 8 tracks of your session (well, the MC Control will show the first 4). If I wanted to have each unit 'start up' with a particular set of tracks assigned you can bank to the selected tracks on the MC Mix or MC Control, then go to EuControl Settings and the Layouts tab - and store your layout. I set mine up so the C|8 is controlling the first 8 tracks, the MC Mix the next 8 and the MC Control the next 4.

Note that layouts are store PER SESSION, so you may want to create a template session with the configuration you want and from which to base all your future sessions.

You can also create multiple layouts and switch between them easily using the Layouts panel.

Note - you can independently bank any of the controllers to a particular set of tracks if you want to control them from a particular control surface.

Lastly, if you want 'set in stone' layout for your template or particular song, you can always use the 'Assign' tab of the EuControl Settings to lock a fader to a particular track in a session. Keep in mind that the C|8 has no such capability, so you'll always start up with the C|8 controlling the first 8 tracks and you'll have to bank to the set of tracks you want it to control.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Can you do this in PT 8?
P4 3.06
2GB RAM
002R
C8
Intel i865G
VIA OHCI 1394 Firewire
Radeon 7000
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac88s View Post
Can you do this in PT 8?
I would think so - I can't test at the moment, but the setup would be slightly different in that you have to configure the Artist series to work as HUI controllers.

Launch the Euphonix System Preference panel and add Pro Tools to the panel and select 'HUI' as the mode. Restart your computer.

In Pro Tools, go to Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers and select the controllers in the order you want them to display tracks (1-8 for the first slot, 9-16 for the second, etc). Select the proper MIDI ports for each controller and you should be good to go.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Wow, thanks for the reply. I'm asking Santa for a Faderport and want to use it alongside my command 8. If I can do this in Pt8 I will be a very happy man. Thanks again for the reply.
P4 3.06
2GB RAM
002R
C8
Intel i865G
VIA OHCI 1394 Firewire
Radeon 7000
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Sorry about the delay in getting to this one - I've had a huge queue to try to get through since Pro Tools 9 launched.

The short answer to your question is 'Yes', though you can't use 2 C|8's together. You can, however, use a C|8 with MC Mix, MC Control, etc.

Here's how I would use it - go to Peripherals>MIDI Controllers and enable the C|8 in the first slot.

If you have an MC Mix, MC Control, etc. attached go to Peripherals>Ethernet Controllers and enable EuCon.

I'm working with an MC Mix, and MC Control and a Command|8 attached. Once you do the above, you'll see that all 3 units show the first 8 tracks of your session (well, the MC Control will show the first 4). If I wanted to have each unit 'start up' with a particular set of tracks assigned you can bank to the selected tracks on the MC Mix or MC Control, then go to EuControl Settings and the Layouts tab - and store your layout. I set mine up so the C|8 is controlling the first 8 tracks, the MC Mix the next 8 and the MC Control the next 4.

Note that layouts are store PER SESSION, so you may want to create a template session with the configuration you want and from which to base all your future sessions.

You can also create multiple layouts and switch between them easily using the Layouts panel.

Note - you can independently bank any of the controllers to a particular set of tracks if you want to control them from a particular control surface.

Lastly, if you want 'set in stone' layout for your template or particular song, you can always use the 'Assign' tab of the EuControl Settings to lock a fader to a particular track in a session. Keep in mind that the C|8 has no such capability, so you'll always start up with the C|8 controlling the first 8 tracks and you'll have to bank to the set of tracks you want it to control.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for replying. One question, if i set up the command 8 and a MCMix using your method assigning the command 8 for the first 8 and the MCMix for the next set of 8, will they be bankable? What I really want is to be able to have a MCMix be an extension of the faders on the C8.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
Thanks for replying. One question, if i set up the command 8 and a MCMix using your method assigning the command 8 for the first 8 and the MCMix for the next set of 8, will they be bankable? What I really want is to be able to have a MCMix be an extension of the faders on the C8.

Thanks in advance.
I would think so - again, I haven't tested with Pro Tools 8 specifically, but in Pro Tools 9 you can bank each device separately.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:25 AM

I am on PT9 actually. So they wouldn't bank together but you can bank them each separately? Like I can bank the C8 independently from the MCmix? I also had a question about the mc transport. Can it be used with full functionality as well with the C8? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
I am on PT9 actually. So they wouldn't bank together but you can bank them each separately? Like I can bank the C8 independently from the MCmix? I also had a question about the mc transport. Can it be used with full functionality as well with the C8? Thanks.
They would each bank independently. And, yes, MC Transport would work with C|8.