Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Import Session Data - Help

I've searched through a few pages of threads but can't seem to find an answer. I Hope someone can help?

I'm trying import my FX Reels 2-6 session into my Reel 1 Session. (They were split apart after a rather nasty recut that was sprung on us 3 days before we mix). The track layout (verbs and all) is exactly the same, so I can click 'Match tracks" and they all find the right track to import too.

The problem is that once it imports, everything from Reel 1 gets wiped away. I'm sure there's an 'offset' or 'map' function that I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it or get it to work.

Any clues?

Cheers
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data - Help

I am sure there are people here brighter than I am, but on the project I am on at present, I am tending to either add each predub to the master session- and then just move the source tracks into the destination tracks by hand....

its a bit of a pain, but may even be required if the session are on the big size- mine have been pushing 22 to 25mb in size to single AB reels

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM

I am sure a number of users on this forum would welcome some sort of "import by timecode range" or equivalent (ideascale request?). When you import, are you using the option "Import - overlay new on existing" (or something to that effect)? This will do what you want, but any overlaps, and the new material will trim the existing regions. If you don't have overlaps, it may be worth the convenience. If you are importing a large number of stems and they overlap (such as for you pull-ups), I would stick with the method Charles suggested

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM

"Import - Overlay new on existing" - Right in front of me the whole time!! Thank you, thank you!!!

Thanks very much for both of your answers. I was just about to set about importing each bus in one at a time, as Charles suggested, but I've got 9 buses of tracklayed FX (and foley spots), with sends, reverb snapshots and numerous other plug-in madness so didn't want, to find myself in plug-in hell come the pre-mix next week.

Thanks for both of your advice!

Cheers