Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-17-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Audio Input for Pro Tools is disabled error on launch

Has anyone seen this strange error message before:

"Audio Input for Pro Tools is disabled. In the following alert which says Pro Tools would like to access the microphone, you must click OK in order to record from ANY hardware".

This is on Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2019.12 on a 2013 Mac Trash can. Never had any errors like this on my old Mac cheesegrater. Just got this Trash can, fresh install of everything and it's giving this weird message. OS is Mojave.

It doesn't seem to actually affect anything within Pro Tools once you click ok, and tracks will arm and record just like you expect them to from the HDX hardware.

Having said that though, I cannot record to any other program, Logic Pro X for example using the HDX hardware (through Core Audio obviously) as once the HDX card is selected as the audio interface there is no input signal to the audio track, no matter what input is selected and even though the interface (Orion 32HD) shows input signal.

These two things might not be related but it is curious nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.06.14 PM.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Audio Input for Pro Tools is disabled error on launch

This issue is discussed in hundreds of posts here on DUC, but maybe a bit hard to find.

When you say you clicked OK. Where exactly did you click OK? Just doing that in the dialog in your screen shot? That does nothing.

If you have other finder windows open the preferences panel you need is opening behind one of those windows.

Did you actually end up going into security preference panel yourself and doing what was described on the dialog panel in your screen shot?

Go to Systems Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy

Click on Microphone in the left hand column and click the check box for each application that you want to allow any audio inputs to (it's not literally the Macintosh microphone it means any audio input on the system)

This is all new macOS privacy features, nothing really to do with Pro Tools, which is just trying to make it easier for you to configure stuff properly, and clearly failing.

----

Or are you telling us you can actually record audio OK? But keep getting a bogus message in your screen shot? It's a little hard to understand exactly what problem you are asking about. (I can't work out if you are saying you can record stuff and it appears to work but you never get any actual audio recorded on the track... that's the expected behavior of not having this Mic privacy setting correct).
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 PM

Thanks so much for the help Darryl! I didn't realize it was a Mac OS issue.

However I don't see any other preferences panels open on the screen either before or after I launch PT and get that error. I have the privacy settings box open as you say but it is empty, no apps are listed there and there are no dialog boxes for me to say okay to.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampnerd View Post
Thanks so much for the help Darryl! I didn't realize it was a Mac OS issue.

However I don't see any other preferences panels open on the screen either before or after I launch PT and get that error. I have the privacy settings box open as you say but it is empty, no apps are listed there and there are no dialog boxes for me to say okay to.

Thanks again for your help.
I am guessing part of the issue at least is you have not approved the HDX driver install in Security & Privacy > general during the install. See https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403110

Reinstall the driver... and watch out for the alert popping up to approve the driver install. Close all other windows as this thing is often missed when it opens behind other windows. The chance to approve this disappears after 30 seconds or so. So you need to trigger it again by doing an install.

And yes I'm guessing here so let us know if that helps or not.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:00 PM

Im looking for help to this identical problem.

I just did a clean install of Catalina (which was what I already had and worked fine with pro tools)

But upon installation of PT I must of clicked 'Do not allow' on the popup. I cannot for the life of me get this to pop up again.
Ive reinstalled drivers 3 times, and reinstalled pro tools twice.

In Security and Privacy, under microphone, the list is EMPTY. Therefor i cannot manually allow it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance