Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Logic 9 User - Thinking About Getting PT LE

Hello,

I'm currently a Logic 9 user using an Apogee Duet, but have been thinking about getting PT LE (I've heard it has some benefits in terms of workflow - I really like the playlist functionality for example). I had a few questions hopefully you all could help me with:

- I'm trying to decide between an Mbox 2 Pro and a Digi 003. I only ever record 2 channels at a time and in the future I'd like to maybe use some outboard gear (like one track at a time and then bounce down or a mix buss). The Mbox 2 Pro seems to be sufficient and leaves room for an alternative speaker set as well. How are the converters / sound of these vs. the Duet though? I rarely use the Duet preamps since I have external preamps.

- Do you recommend getting the Music Production Toolkit? Is it a fairly high ceiling in terms of # of tracks / instrument tracks / auxes? My largest mix in Logic thus far has been 85 total tracks (audio + instrument + auxes).

- For any of you that use Logic 9, are there things / functionality in Logic that you miss in PT LE? I just want to be aware of those.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Logic 9 User - Thinking About Getting PT LE

I have both logic 9 and pt 8....workflow is way better in pt...logic can bounce to mp3..pt you got to pay for that feature....VI's better in logic..but thats a matter of taste...i use mbox2 pro..works with both programs...midi editing i find easier in pt....reverbs better in logic....score is better in pt..sound from mbox2 pro to me is sort of on the flatish side...also i do hear a difference on playback on materal recorded in pt and logic...but remember sound is subjected to everyone....both good programs...its a matter of choice on how u work...i create in both..what one wont do the other seems to do and vise a versera
Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks Barry1. Could you please explain why you think virtual instruments function better in Logic? I tend to use a lot of 3rd party VIs.

For the Mbox sound - were you referring to the DAC or the ADC or both? Do you feel the material recorded in PT sounds better to you?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM

I also have both Logic 9 & Pro-Tools LE 8. I personally prefer writing in Logic 9, but I have been using logic since version 4.5/5 so I know it inside out. I have been using pro-tools for just over a year and I also like working with it. If anything it makes a welcome change from time to time.

The only major downsides with PT LE8 are (yaaaawn) no automatic delay compensation and stupid limited track-count, unless you want to pay a lot of money for the upgrades. They both come bundled with some really good Vi's & FX processors, they both have elastic audio/flex time.

The converters on the Mbox Pro 2 do the job, but I would say the Apogee Duet easily takes the upper hand there. Having other superior pre-amps is all well and good, but the Mbox will be your weak link in the signal chain if you are a really serious audiophile..... Other than that I find it a pleasure to use both.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks. I just spent some time trying to wrap my head around the whole PDC issue. Of all the various PT "limitations", that is the one that I fear will scare me off - it requires so much work it seems compared to Logic (and I use many of what I believe are high latency plugins like Spectrasonics, NI, SoundToys, Waves). Or perhaps I just don't understand how to do it in PT properly.

Quite depressing since some of the other things about PT are really, really appealing (the super intuitive editing, elastic pitch, etc.).
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM

To build on what someone previously said, in general, Logic seems to deal with virtual instruments better than Protools. In a situation with the exact same computer, same setup, same specs, it seems to be that you can run more VI's with less problems in Logic.

If you use a lot of VI's at one time that would be a reason not to get rid of Logic. Of course there are workarounds in Protools, such as printing to audio tracks (this must be done in real time - no "freeze" function). But you can always do your midi/composing in Logic, then print to audio, then import to protools for more overdubs, editing, mixing, etc.

As for the Duet, from what I've been able to hear, it's a big quality jump from even the 003, which I believe is a little better than the mbox series. In fact I'm looking at getting an Ensemble (same quality as Duet) as a digital converter upgrade for my 003.

As for the Music Production Toolkit, that gives you up to 64 tracks, from the normal 48. I believe you still get only 32 aux busses.

The Complete Production Toolkit gives you 128 tracks, 128 busses, plus many video/post features including surround mixing.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 AM

to be quite honest..i feel logic's VI instrument sound more fuller and warmer...i like pt midi editing over logic and as per workflow too...now as per sound coming into or out of mbox2 pro that is subjective to every individual....from my own conclusion when recording in logic 9 with a presonus firebox my vocals do sound like me...but yet when using mbox2 pro i do not hear the color and it seems a bit flatish...as well as not really sounding like me..if u know what i mean...i also get this same sensation when using the mbox2 pro into logic...thereforth i have on numerous occasions ponder switching over to a pro tools m-powered 8 system with a m-audo interface maybe the 610 or 2626...for a person just doing your own recording probly 610...or if u still want, give the mbox2 pro fw a shot. sound is subjective....and the best part of about having both system is that u can import your pt8 wave files into logic and then bounce them into mp3 files from there...hope this helps
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 AM

VI's perform better in Logic, you have ADC, you'll have way better pres/converters with the Duet than any LE interface, unlimited track count, you don't have to buy extra tracks or export options...

Stick with Logic... the only advantage PT has is if you already know PT very well, or have Massey plugs you don't want to give up...
Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 AM

I also forgot to mention that PT has true stereo panning capabilities, i.e independent control of L&R pan position on a stereo track. Logic's 'balance' function on stereo tracks, which simply lets you position the overall balance of a stereo source in the stereo field is rather annoying. There are workarounds in Logic, obviously, but this very simple function in PT is rather nice.