Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Ethernet port/hub/switcher question.

It's been a weird day of going to Best Buy, Office Depot and the Mac Store and hearing conflicting stories. I need to know first hand from someone who has done this. Please no guessing or heresy.

I have an older G5 with 1 ethernet port in the back. I have my internet plugged into it. No wifi/airport card, just a cable in off my internet router in the other room. I just got a Control 24 which goes in via ethernet. I'm looking for a hub:

Internet & Control 24 > G5

This router:
Linksys by Cisco EtherFast 10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch EZXS88W

Appears to be designed to plug the internet into it and then you can output the internet to 5 or 8 computers depending on the unit. The Geek Squad dude at BB said that it won't work because the signal flow is the wrong way and I thought that myself. But my buddy said he has one that he used to use and it worked. The other option is to get another PCI Ethernet slot card for my G5.

What is the best way to do this?
Got a link to the right product?
Will the Linksys product above work?

Thanks

???

p.s. This has been a bit confusing I was looking for a simple hub but it doesn't seem so easy now.