Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Converter Noob!

I am about to make the leap from LE to HD. I have a question regarding something like an Apogee 16x or Lynx auora 16 (as examples).

Why would you need so many outputs? I may not be understanding the uses here. Sixteen inputs, obviously, but sixteen outputs? I may have been spending too much time in "LE Land" where you have stereo outs or a USB connection to your Command 8 for outputs. What does one do with so many outputs?

Also, will the Apogee A/D16x work without the D/A16x? If this is your set-up can you no longer use the connection to a Command 8 or something of that nature?

These questions are probably sounding stupid, but, I have never had a use for them with an LE system.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Converter Noob!

You need outputs, if you have outboard gear that you use via hardware inserts, or if you mix out of the box using some great classic console. Or if you have a front-of-house gig and you need to feed multiple monitor outputs.

Other than that, you only need what your monitors require.

Yes, Apogee AD box and DA box are two separate boxes and can work separately or together. Their HD card is just emulating the Avid HD192 interface. Connection to Command|8 goes via USB and it doesn't matter which interface you're using.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks JFreak.

With LE, my Command 8 is connected via USB cable. The output from Pro Tools is sent via this connection, and then to the monitors (basicaly). There was no need for additional outputs.

So, the Apogee A/D 16x will work with a PT HD system independently of the D/A 16x, correct? Only the A/D 16x is required and the output will still come from the Command 8 if desired?

I was wondering why the Lynx Aurora was so much more expensive. It has the 16 outputs in it already.

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM

No, the C8 does not get audio via USB, in only moves the faders. Audio comes from the analog side of C8 and needs a separate interface for it.

Are you thinking about Digi 002 which looks like C8 a bit? It is a firewire interface and audio is routed via that connection. It is a standalone interface/controller but incompatible with HD systems.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 PM

If I were you I would choose one of the "new" AVID interfaces. They sound better than most converters on the market and you are sure your interface will be compatible for every new pro Tools update.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM

The new converters are so expensive right now that it is hard to pull that trigger for me. I am just getting started with a PCIx system for the time being.

Which brings me to another question(s)...

Is it possible to use 8 analog ins on a 192io and 8 analog ins on a 96io to record tracks? My belief is that it is fine but you are limited to 96k recordings. Furthermore, can you use the digital ins on the 192io as well for 24 simultaneous channels in the scenario?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringer7 View Post
Is it possible to use 8 analog ins on a 192io and 8 analog ins on a 96io to record tracks? My belief is that it is fine but you are limited to 96k recordings. Furthermore, can you use the digital ins on the 192io as well for 24 simultaneous channels in the scenario?
Yes, you can use whatever combination you like. Just remember that one box can only use 16 i/o at any time. If you have two interfaces then you can use whatever 32 i/o you have available. You just have to set it up as 16+16 due to how the digilink cable has been designed to daisy-chain two interfaces into one card. First box uses i/o channels 1-16 and the second box has 17-32. But it's up to you to set up which are active. This will be the first setup that you need to do after you power up the first time. Take the time to really learn this well and you should be okay.

It is not that "limited" to record 96k -- it will be more than enough.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Thanks!

Common opinion is that the converters on the 96io are inferior to the 192. With that being said, my above referrenced situation would be:

Tracking the drums through the 192io @ 96k and doing the "scratch tracks" through the 96io @ 96k. After the drums are down, tracking everything else through the 192io because of the superior converters. Does that sound feasible and correct?

I am assuming that within PT HD (remember I have been using LE up until now) you can use only a couple of the analog outs from the 192io into your studio monitors/monitor controllers. That allows you to have, say, 22 ins and 2 outs simultaneously. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 AM

I have had both 96 and 192 interfaces , now I have AVID I/O 8x8x8.
All I can say unfortunately is that there is no big difference between the oldies. The 192 is very digital retro sounding too...in a bad way.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 PM

All HD interfaces sound miles better than any LE interface, especially at 96k, don't worry about it. The clock in 192 interface makes "inferior" interfaces sound better too, due to improved accuracy / less jitter.