Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Icon users. Your top EQs and Comps that work 100% with dedicated EQ/Comp sections?

Hi guys, been thinking about this for a while. What are some of the best eqs/comps you find yourself using a lot on a D-Command or Control that map properly/well to the dedicated sections on the console(s).

Compiling a short list to try out other than what I'm already using, and I know a lot of them just don't work on the dedicated sections at all, or if they do the mapping is a bit off, or the level meters/GR meters don't work on those sections which removes a bit from the overall great 'dedicated' experience on icon of never having to look at the screen and to build up muscle memory.

Along with being functional, there's also the question of sound. Some of my favourite eqs sound wise are just not seen by the dedicated eq section. I've mapped them to faders or channel encoders which isn't exactly bad vs nearly every other controller out there which is far far worse but it's still not ideal.

As I wrote elsewhere, for me the ability to use icon intuitively and just 'reach out' with memory, a quick page button being fine, and keeping you in the mix zone is worth more than sacrificing that for a 'better' sounding EQ/comp that means either mouse or awkward mapping. Results from better workflow often outweight results from frustrating (but great sounding) plugs ime.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Icon users. Your top EQs and Comps that work 100% with dedicated EQ/Comp sections

I'll start with:

COMPS:

ELI Arouser [ Maps well, meters work and the SC EQ section is reflected on the EQ section below ]

Slate Virtual Bus Comps [ Does the job, meters work ]

Fabfilter Dynamics (Pro C,Pro L) not ProMB

PSP FetPressor [ Great comp, all mapped OK. GR meter doesn't work though. ]

EQ:

PSP E27se [latest version 1.5.1 appears to work with dedicated section, sounds great, but has some bugs in the AAX version, needs some work. I think it may only be the SE (light version) that works properly due to amount of controls in the expandable full version 'x2' and 'left/right' etc.]

Various Waves stuff (same for comps) [ waves aren't my first choice usually for sound but can be ok, but at least they appear to support ICON properly in pretty much every eq/comp plug ]

Fabfilter ProQ2

Kush Hammer No level meter but works well

Almost:

Slyfi Axis EQ [Works, kind of, but IIRC metering doesn't work and only works on the "UBK" mode not A/B - API clone ]

PA Lindell stuff [ Maps but IIRC has metering issues and clunky/mis-mapping ]

Totally dead to the centre section:

Anything by Native Instruments [ not seen ]

Slate VMR Eqs/Comps. [Racked up so no go for some nice plugs]

Audified RZ062 A great EQ sadly has to be used from channel encoders/faders only.

will update with new/old findings as I discover/remember them.

Let us know what you've had good workflow/sound/results with on D-Command (or control)

Last edited by Jeezer; 02-19-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Icon users. Your top EQs and Comps that work 100% with dedicated EQ/Comp sections

Plug-in Alliance stuff works great.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 AM

I use DMG Equilibrium and Fabfilter Pro Q2.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24