Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 04:18 AM

Default Control room wall construction

http://www.clarityrecords.com/layout.html
here's my studio space in a rough computer sketch. I need to build a wall where the dotted line is, and it has to isolate sound pretty well without spending a lot of money
any like, parts list, price estimate, or material ideas much appreciated
Old 08-28-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Control room wall construction

Have you checked out www.auralex.com yet? There's a PDF pamphlet titled "Acoustics 101" that's pretty good at least to give you a starting point.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: maxcap ]
Old 08-28-2001, 07:02 PM

i know there has been several threads on this exact topic in the past. i might be able to dig up the info i acquired from them. a search oughta come up with the info. if you use auralex materials, i think you're looking at around $1-2k. but there are cheaper solutions at your local home depot... it's really not as much of an exact science as some make it out to be. i think rick at superdigital(503.228.2222) is constructing his own dub studio in the store-front building.
happy building(lotsa fun to be had)!
you might try trading studio time with help, if possible.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Felix ]
Old 08-28-2001, 07:08 PM

thanks felix, that's a really good idea trading studio time.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:50 PM

Back in the big Apple we used to put hummasite(sp) under the stud (plate) prior to building the wall. Then a layer prior to the sheetrock (4 firecode) This let the B-52s rehearse without the neighbors 'doing something dreadful' to that singer. Following the same basic concept- but leave off the sheet rock at the control room side. You may need this for firecode however (usually under the console)

Lay the wall stud(plate) on top of hummasite, and secure it in place. Do the same with the ceiling stud (plate actually) and two outside uprights (studs). You may also use adhesive to doubly seal these materials. Frame your wall and window. Wire, insulate and sheet with hummasite, if ok by firecode. And/or cover with 3/4 inch sheet rock. Caulk everything really good. Fir'n strips may be placed on the outside of control room hummasite wall and another layer of hummasite placed on top of that. 3/4 sheet rock afterwards, to paint and as firestop. Close the window frame off with hummasite also. Then sheet rock with 3/4. Install window with rubber boots supplied by window company. You need some kind of track on the bottom of window to bear it's weight across the sheet rock. Silicon everywhere! Apply prefinished mouldings and caulk again. Paint. Voila. C'est fini.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:59 AM

Blake ,

this is not quite what you asked for but it is interesting to see how someone else went about things and there is a little info about walls but mainly acoustics and bass traps.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

Kev