Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Altiverb 4.2.7 HTDM - anyone using it?

Altiverb 4.2.7 HTDM - anyone using it with:

Protools HD 6.9.2cs3
OSX 10.4.x (any version of Tiger)

?

how are you using it?

I am having the following problem:

Alti v4.2.7 htdm is crashing protools every time I open a session that contains an altivberb instance, or when I instanciate a 2nd altiverb, after having one been opened, then closed. If I remove altiverb from the plugins folder, everything is perfect. I am using protools 6.9.3cs2 w/ OS 10.4.2 --- the problem occurred with all versions of protools under all version of tiger -- Loading any file with altiverb is a crapshoot. After a restart, I am OK for the first instance... subsequent loading is where the crash occurs. My workaround (unacceptable) re-start the mac before loading anything. Yes, I have trashed alti prefs, digi prefs, tdm prefs, etc... My ram is certified ok by apple. I have re-installed altiverb many times.

AudioEase confirms the bug...

Quote:
This is indeed a bug, however we aren't able to solve this one at a short basis.
Best is to upgrade to Altiverb 5.
Well that's all nice... I guess I can spend $169 to upgrade to v5, only to have to buy another upgrade to v6 in a few weeks for PT7 compato. Altiverb compatiility was a big issue for me - and AudioEase claimed 100% Tiger compatibility with version 4 or 5... obviously not.

Is anyone using version 4 with HTDM successfully in Tiger?

Before throwing more money at AudioEase (with the uncertainty in their upgrade path due to PT7), I was considering Waves IR-1 -- anyone who's used both have an opinion on the IR-1? Available IRs? Overall quality for music production (especially vocal plates and halls)?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Altiverb 4.2.7 HTDM - anyone using it?

Why not try TL Space? If you have an Accel card, you can get over 3 seconds of convolution on one Accel chip with 3 samples latency. It's a heck of a lot simpler to use on TDM than Altiverb ever was. It sounds fine too...

I have 4.2.7 on 6.9 under 10.3.8, and it seems to work, although it won't open up an older mix for some reason. It would be nice to have that work since I'd like to recreate that reverb using TL Space - will report back when I solve that one. The version soup is pretty frustrating - this one project isn't even done yet and a plugin has come and gone...

Best of luck,

-monte-
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Well that's all nice... I guess I can spend $169 to upgrade to v5, only to have to buy another upgrade to v6 in a few weeks for PT7 compato
Go ahead and buy the upgrade. Audio Ease has a sane policy about these things. For them, upgrades are incremental. I upgraded to version 5 from version 3. The cost was greater to go from 3 to 5 than it would have been for a person going from 4 to 5. In other words, there is not a flat fee for upgrading to the new version from any other version.

Lee Blaske
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM

Lee,

The problem with... (I hate it when people start a sentance with that) Altiverb is that it just went to version 5 in late spring, and it wasn't stable until version 5.1. It appears that it is finally stable now, and worth the upgrade... however, I plan on going to PT7 asap.

Alitverb has been upgrading every 12 months or so, and at $169 per upgrade, to me that's fairly steep for a single $900 plug. OK, lots of new features - but AudioEase stated that version 4 and 5 have identical engines, and was "fully tested" under Tiger, and there is no difference in sound (unless you use the new parameters) -- hard to justify $169 if it isn't going to sound any better or improve my workflow (as a comparison, PT7 upgrade at $175 will essentially change how I work).

And considering the value of my htdm plug is going to be devalued by $300 as soon as PT7 ships, it's hard to pay a premium today, knowing that in a few weeks, it's gone. Of course, you must buy what you need, when you need it... so I have to ask myslef if I am willing to restart my computer between songs, or pay $169 that will be lost for good...

It would have been nice if AudioEase disclosed this bug (they represent 100% compato with Tiger) - I may have chosen differently before going to Tiger... or I'd have budgeted for the upgrade. I'm just grumbling because I'm getting nickel and dimed this week on upgrades by everyone... and I have no issues, as long as I see value. I don't see value in the Alti 5 upgrade if it's simply for compatibility with an OS that the developer claims compatibility with. </rant>
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Why not try TL Space? If you have an Accel card, you can get over 3 seconds of convolution on one Accel chip with 3 samples latency. It's a heck of a lot simpler to use on TDM than Altiverb ever was.
I don't know. I have both, and to me, TL Space is a far cry from Altiverb 5. The Audio Ease folks are constantly pushing the envelope. Three seconds of convolution is not usually enough for any classical, orchestral use, especially if there's a lot of space in the arrangement where tails can be heard.

Lee Blaske
Old 11-02-2005, 11:52 AM

I was thinking of gettng Altiverb. Is there any point in getting the more expensive HDTDM version?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of gettng Altiverb. Is there any point in getting the more expensive HDTDM version?
Snoopy,

That's a great question.

If you're planning on going to PT7, then any premium you spend on the HTDM version today will be down the toilet as soon as you launch PT7, as it won't work.

If I were AudioEase, I'd be advertising free upgrades to Alti v6 to anyone buying v5 HTDM now. I can't imagine that anyone with half a brain is buying a new copy of Alti v5 HTDM this month (unless they are on a project with a deadline and you simply don't care about $169 or so)

This is where the premium pricing for HTDM backfires... if there were only 1 price point, this issue would be moot - buy the current version and then upgrade later... but since you're dropping an additional $300 for HTDM now, and it goes away in a few weeks, you have to make the choice.

I'm a big fan of the sounds of Altiverb - too bad they're getting caught in the crossfire.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Altiverb 4.2.7 HTDM - (audio ease reply)

Hi,

The instability in version 4 is unfortunate, we learned about it today, and though it will be fixed, we didn't have time to do that right away. That's why we advised the person who reported the bug to upgrade as v5 is fine, and it would save his workflow today.

About purchasing HTDM or not: We have decided that you will not loose money doing so now.
Honestly, ProTools 7 beat us to our version 6. We are not ready yet to even disclose its final feature set. But there will be a big and a regular version, just like today. Upgrading to v6 when you own HTDM 5 now will be cheaper by such an amount that you will not loose money when you buy HTDM 5 today.

Just buy HTDM if you need it now, the $300 difference will not be lost. But you can also buy RTAS if you plan to upgrade to PT 7 tomorrow.

This news was available on the front page of our website by the way.
It is pasted below my name.

Best,

Arjen
Audio Ease

=======
At Audio Ease we are working on support in Altiverb for TDM, Windows, Pro Tools 7, Mac Intel and several new features.

This will all lead up to Altiverb 6. We are not ready yet to disclose its final feature set or pricing scheme, but we need to respond to your questions regarding ProTools 7.

ProTools 7 will do away with HTDM, but Altiverb RTAS (included in Altiverb HTDM) can be inserted in aux channels in a tdm session. Many people ask us whether they are going to loose money when they purchase the HTDM version now as it will be useless in the upcoming Pro Tools 7.

We simply advise you to purchase the version that you need now. So if you intend to remain working in ProTools 6 for a while, buy the HTDM version: your upgrade to Altiverb 6 TDM will be cheaper so that you don't lose money.

If you intend to switch to Pro Tools 7 real soon, you can buy the more affordable RTAS version, but if you want to upgrade to Altiverb 6 TDM later, your upgrade fee will be equally higher, or close to that.
=======
Old 11-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Audioease will Altiverb 6 TDM work with existing PT Mix Systems (6.4.1cs4) as a TDM plugin?

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM

What's the advantage of using HDTDM over RTAS?