Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Is trueverb musical?

I have the Waves NPP. It comes packaged with Truverb. If you read the manual it all sounds good in theory but I'm having trouble coming up with reverbs that are much beter that D-verb.

I record mainly accoustic based music. Any thoughts/settings on good reverb presets for trueverb would be appreciated. .

I have limited budget and limted power (733 quicksilver). So I normally set up buss sends for reverb.

I have two external reverbs I can use, a SPX90 and a Boss se-50 which are both very old but to my ears sound comparable to what I can get out of my two software reverbs.

Are there reasonably priced CPU frugal software verbs? Should I put my bucks into upgrading my computer or would I be better off buying a good outboard modern verb with spdif?

This is a hobby studio with the odd paying client ----oh yeah did I mention three teenage mouth's to feed

TIA

Brian
Old 09-20-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Is trueverb musical?

Try Altiverb by Audio Ease- it's AWESOME
Super simple interface- i use it with my Dual 450 and it does fine- the Waves IR1 is unuseable on my machine. I haven't tried too many others, but once I found altiverb I decided to stop looking...

-Andrew
Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I still love my Lexicon LXP1 and LXP5.
For classic wet and wild reverb/Delay, you cannot beat These litle jewels.
These units do absolute wonders with stereo imaging from a mono source.
...and... No CPU bandwidth required!
You can get a good deal when they are on eBay around $50-$75.
LXP1 is reverb and delay, LXP5 is for pitch shifting and other effects.
Of course, Lexicon goes much further than that for a slightly higher budget.
The MPX1 is a fully programable unit with amazing character.
The MPX550 is somewhere between the LXP's and the MPX1/G2 (G2 has a built in pre specifically designed for quitar)
***steps down of the soap box again***
IMHO
Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 AM

I was never happy with Trueverb. There is a way, however, to use two linked together which does significantly improve the results (it's described in the manual). I don't know if you've got the horsepower for that though, I was using it under TDM...
Dverb gets a really bad rap. I actually do like it on some things. Sometimes you need a trashy reverb
Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 AM

This is an outspoken opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone, but frankly I think Trueverb is about the most worthless reverb plug-in I've ever heard. D-Verb I've always liked; I know it's trashy and by conventional definitions of a "good" reverb it doesn't cut it. But I really like the way it makes some things sound. But those are both ultra-cheap reverb plugs. If you don't mind paying a little money, Waves, I think, hit a home run with the convolution reverb. In general I love their plug-ins. Trueverb is a rare exception. The only way you can make it have a worthwhile sound is to cascade several on a channel/track.

Just my honest opinion/.02/effort to be helpful.

Again, hope nobody takes offense.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 AM

for a limited horsepower, i must always recomend external reverb hardware via spdif i/o - even the cheapo t.c.electronics m300 will sound a lot better than most plugins, with the altiverb being one of the rare exceptions. i also like reverb one (which is hd only) and lexiverb (mix only), but those i cannot use with le systems.

when i have the money - which will take some time, because i just ordered a pair of genelec 8050 monitors - i will buy lexicon pcm91 and t.c.electronics m3000 reverb units. believe me, they are worth the price.

if you really need to have a good-sounding plugin reverb, why not try the "easyverb" by www.pspaudioware.com (the plug will currently have to be run via vst/rtas adapter, but there will be a rtas version at some point later this year). it is very cheap and has surprisingly good and musical reverb algorithms; but it taxes cpu quite much, so i guess it might not be good for your sub-1ghz system.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 AM

Yeah. I'm using a Lexicon MPX1 on my LE rig (Re-vibe/ Reverb One on my HD2). Well worth using a hardware verb if you've got one lying around.

I use D-verb more as a 'special effect', than a straight reverb. It's no good for orchestral work.

I reckon it's about time Digi improved D-verb - or included something better...it certainly falls short of Platinum Verb/Space designer in Logic, for example.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:43 AM

in my opinion d-verb is quite good when used on a drum kit. for some reason, toms like it