Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Default OMF import offset and DUC search

Having problems with OMF imports in PTHD 8.0.1 Result is offset by an hour past where it should be. Mac Pro with Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors. OSX 10.5.6 OMF coming from FCP.

also

Wanted to look into it on the DUC but a search of "OMF" comes up with "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms" I'm pretty certain we've typed 'OMF' here a few times...

Old 10-25-2009, 06:09 AM

Default Re: OMF import offset and DUC search

What frame rate? Frame rates above 30 are known to do this although I don't recall the offset being exactly 1 hour.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Certain workflows and/or versions of FCP don't produce an OMF that will land in the right absolute time code on import. I worked on an HD show (23.976) in which the only way I could sync the OMF was with the 2-pop at the head. Everything else about these OMFs were fine, though.

OMFs that I get from Avids always land in the right spot.

I seem to remember discussing this drawback of FCP years ago here on the DUC. Keep searching...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeziner View Post

Wanted to look into it on the DUC but a search of "OMF" comes up with "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms" I'm pretty certain we've typed 'OMF' here a few times...

The DUC won't allow 3 letter search terms - a mininum of 4 letters is required.

Try a "site" google search: site:http://duc.digidesign.com "omf"
Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 AM

Hi all,
I'm getting this problem as well. From an Avid Media Composer 25fps sequence.

Paul McFadden
Supervising Sound Editor
Doctor Who

www.bangpostproduction.com
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 AM

Ask your picture editor what his start mark is. Go to "session" settings in PT and set your stat time to that, then "maintain timecode". Do this with picture and guide track as well. Your 2 pop should fall right into place if you have one to verify all of this, but even without a 2p just knowing start time should do the trick. As a matter of specification we always ask for a 00:58:30:00 start time for everything from OMF to PT templates to ADR etc.

Wilson Dyer mpse
Sound Supervisor NCIS Los Angeles

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 PM

FCP session and mine are both 29.97 Drop

Wilson - yeah that's how things normally should work.

Dunno why but all OMF imports are coming in 1 hour late. The other freaky thing is that no matter what I set the offset to it does not change where the files land. Same exact placement every time.

I am working on really short pieces right now. Sync by hand is very easy but I'd like to have the OMF import function work like it is supposed to (and always has for me).

Mr. Armadillo - Thanks! Unfortunate limitation for troubleshooting OMF issues but now I know.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:30 PM

Can you not go in and change the session start time to 1:00:00;00? Then? I've seen that happen where our editors will send over an OMF with their session start time at 1 hour instead of at 0, and all I have to do is simply go in and set the session start time to 1:00:00;00 and it pops right into place.