Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Recording Midi Data to Audio

A long time ago, I was successful with this but I've forgotten how to patch this together... I'm using LE 7.0 with an Mbox2 with Windows XP.

I'm using an Alesis synth and want to record/edit some drums in MIDI -- which I can do. I can also hear them fine when recording and playing back The problem is trying to record them as audio files. Do I use an Instrument track or Aux? And how to bus/route them? I'm completely confused. I've been searching online about how to patch everything but the majority of people are using virtual instruments or newer versions of PT. I can't to go OUT from the midi track IN to an audio track. I have connected the out from the keyboard into the Mbox but, even with the midi cables still connected, the signal isn't recording on the audio track. DO I need to bus bus using AUX or Instrument tracks?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Andy
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Recording Midi Data to Audio

Once you've recorded your midi to a midi track, then to record audio from Alesis, should be: Protools midi out, to Alesis midi in. Alesis audio out to Mbox audio in. Create audio track, select input to match whatever hardware input(s) your alesis is plugged into. Record arm the audio track, record arm the master transport, then hit play.

Once you've recorded this, you may have to shift the entire audio waveform back a bit in the timeline because of possible delay from protools midi to alesis to audio in protools. You'll know if somethings a little off.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Thanks. I have these connections made (actually, I have the MIDI in and out both connected to the Mbox Out and IN as well as the Alesis' audio out connected to Mbox in. Then I created an audio track but it's not recording. No meter activity (although I do hear the keys playing). How should I route the signal through the channel strips? RIght now I have Midi In set to ALL, Midi Out set to the Midi mapper path "10". The Alesis is going to the Audio track's IN (1).

I'm assuming that by keeping the two midi cables connected, the midi data is going back to the keyboard and triggering the sound, which should come out from the audio out and be recorded...? And yet, it's not happeneing ...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 PM

I think the problem your having is that your monitoring your input not pro tools and since your meter isnt going the input on the track in Pro tools is probably wrong. You gotta turn the mix knob clockwise all the way to monitor pro tools.
Cheers