Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Default Pro Tools LE go to the grave?

Logic, Live, Reason, everything works almost perfectly Snow Leopard.

ProTools still falling. What are the performance of the worst. He thinks too avid to us, or you have to seriously ProTools LE funeral (where the new update?)? It is the best music program I've ever met. Shame. Oh boy
Old 06-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE go to the grave?

When artificially crippling why not artificially bugging? Updates (read paid upgrade) seem to be used to pull users ahead in the version number war ... Uh oh, I am getting paranoid all over again with that big money milking...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popco View Post
Logic, Live, Reason, everything works almost perfectly Snow Leopard.
Everything works "Almost perfectly" huh??? There is no such thing as perfection with computer apps and don't let anyone tell you differently.

"Almost" HA!

Let's get back to work eh?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Well I have said before if Pro Tools Was only LE. Meaning no TDM. Avid (Digidesign) would be out of Business.
-No ADC
-Buffer Issues
-Latency
-Garbage Interfaces
-Horrible VI integration
-No Offline bouncing
Feel free to add to the list
Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed13adema View Post
Well I have said before if Pro Tools Was only LE. Meaning no TDM. Avid (Digidesign) would be out of Business.
-No ADC
-Buffer Issues
-Latency
-Garbage Interfaces
-Horrible VI integration
-No Offline bouncing
Feel free to add to the list
If you think Avid would be out of business if Pro Tools fell, you're pretty out of the loop.

Plenty of us making money with LE, mate. Interface is the same as HD for the most part, I have no latency problems, and I can add to that list, as well.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM

From what I can tell, Logic is the ONLY DAW out there capable of integrating VI's to the kind of capacity I need as film composer to work. But even those kinks have not all been worked out. DP, Cubase, Sonar, etc all come to their knees eventually, as does LE. The solution, for the forseeable future, is to keep as many VI's outside of pro tools as possible, either via programs such as VSL's new Vienna Ensemble Pro or via the use of external slave PCs (I have both elements in place to keep LE behaving).

So knowing LE's quirks, I don't find it all that bad. I actually love the midi editing and Sibelius workflow I can get, for the most part. Though it took me til I bought an 8 core mac pro to be able to say that. Perhaps I'd have been happier as a Logic user - who knows. But I'm addicted to Pro Tools LE now.

And for what it's worth, I would never shell out the money for an HD system to use solely as a composing rig. It's a preposterous amount of money. I would switch to Logic or DP first (still might, depending on how things go with updates). For post sound and mixing work, though, obviously HD is the way to go (and the folks I hire have HD. So all is well.)
Pro Tools LE v8.03 Digi 002r w/ DV Toolkit 2 Mac Pro 2.26 gHZ 12 GB RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed13adema View Post

Well, that's just it. Pro Tools isn't only LE. And in fact, LE was designed to be their consumer, not professional system. Just so happens that with CPU power increasing exponentially as it has, professionals are using LE. Believe me, the high-end pro market is HEAVILY invested in PTHD systems, a fact not likely to change in the near future. Personally, my LE system is doing quite well for me. I'm able to do most everything I need to do in it, and presently, it's completely stable. The latency argument is moot at this point. I'm recording mostly at a hardware buffer of 32 samples, 64/128 when I NEED to raise it. Which isn't often. ADC? Well, there are work-arounds for that though it should be added. But, bottom line, if you really need it, there's other DAW's that have it. Use one of them. While nothing is perfect, PT's work-flow is getting it done for me. I think it's going to improve as well. And I do use my system professionally BTW...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcomposer View Post

So knowing LE's quirks, I don't find it all that bad.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Another rant to add to the archives... Although of course everyone is entitled to their opinion...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM

You’re right KB.
But looking at things from Avid's point of view, I would have to ask the question... When do we deliver ADC as an inclusion in a paid upgrade or toolkit? They must realize the revenue this cash cow would generate.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com