Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Possible to export sounds from xpand!

Hi,

I've used a bunch of modified sounds from xpand! in pro tools in a bunch of recorded tracks and I'd like to be able to use these exact sounds in a live performance setting - but WITHOUT having to use a laptop with pro tools.

I have heard about muse receptor, but I don't believe it can run xpand! - is that correct?

Is there anyway to run xpand! without running protools?

And assuming there is not, is there any way to export the sounds from xpand! to be able to be used in another application on on muse receptor - or even just export the sound to a stand-alone keyboard (like the Roland Fantom X6?)

Thanks very much for your assistance.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Possible to export sounds from xpand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattivo View Post
Hi,

I've used a bunch of modified sounds from xpand! in pro tools in a bunch of recorded tracks and I'd like to be able to use these exact sounds in a live performance setting - but WITHOUT having to use a laptop with pro tools.

I have heard about muse receptor, but I don't believe it can run xpand! - is that correct?

Is there anyway to run xpand! without running protools?

And assuming there is not, is there any way to export the sounds from xpand! to be able to be used in another application on on muse receptor - or even just export the sound to a stand-alone keyboard (like the Roland Fantom X6?)

Thanks very much for your assistance.
As far as I know, Xpand will not run outside of Pro Tools.

That being said... is there something preventing you from running Pro Tools along your live gig? I've seen many people do this, and I've done it myself without any problems.

However, you could just record samples of the sounds you want to use, and upload them to a hardware sampler, or just about any keyboard these days.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 AM

I don't know if it's my set-up or what, but pro tools is not very stable on my macbook. I wouldn't trust it in a live situation.

regarding the sampling you mentioned, I've never done that - is that a very involved process? Or is there software that does that easily? Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattivo View Post
I don't know if it's my set-up or what, but pro tools is not very stable on my macbook. I wouldn't trust it in a live situation.

regarding the sampling you mentioned, I've never done that - is that a very involved process? Or is there software that does that easily? Thanks again.
Well, we can discuss your setup if you like... I'm certainly willing to give some pointers, as I have been relying on my Macbook Pro for a couple years now and I absolutely trust it to record and/or play in a live setting.

Either way, sampling can be done right from Pro Tools. How involved the process is really depends on how much detail you want from your samples. If you want to play the sounds note for note, you will have to sample them note for note. Meaning, hit record, play a note. Do it again for the next note, and so on. This can obviously be very time consuming. To get around this, many will sample a bar or two at a time, or even a selection of what you intend to play, and then you can just trigger it live. This has it's drawbacks, of course, since it will require your performance to be extremely tight in terms of timing and tempo, and doesn't exactly allow for the same sort of "live" performance you might be wanting from your samples. Again, it kind of depends on what you want out of it. Are you playing from a keyboard or a sampler? Are you playing any other instruments at the same time?

There are plenty of factors involved, but to be honest, the easiest might still be to get your Macbook up to spec.

D

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM

thanks for the info! Currently playing just the X6 - using it's internal sounds. And as you suggested, I'm not really interested in sampling phrases, but just getting the sounds into the board so I can play it live, rather than just trigger samples.

That's why I was interested in the receptor, until I found out it won't play xpand!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM

i have HD2 and mac pro if i had HD4 or 6 or 7 and tha latest mac pro with tons of ram i would never never never use it in a live situation, because the risk of crash and freeze specially with virtual instrument is huge, i keep asking me how they still sell such an expansive hardware with expansive bugs and crash. and nobody knows how to fix them, reinstall, clean reinstall, cs1 cs2, cs3, cs4, once you're ok with your set up maybe in one year, your hardware rig and mac have just lost 60per cent of their value, and a new version is out, but you have to change your MAC because of new OSX.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post
i have HD2 and mac pro if i had HD4 or 6 or 7 and tha latest mac pro with tons of ram i would never never never use it in a live situation, because the risk of crash and freeze specially with virtual instrument is huge, i keep asking me how they still sell such an expansive hardware with expansive bugs and crash. and nobody knows how to fix them, reinstall, clean reinstall, cs1 cs2, cs3, cs4, once you're ok with your set up maybe in one year, your hardware rig and mac have just lost 60per cent of their value, and a new version is out, but you have to change your MAC because of new OSX.
I wouldn't take an HD rig with me to a live gig just to play some VIs from anyway...

I'm sorry you've been so disappointed with PT/Apple... but my experience has been completely to the contrary, especially in live situations.

D