Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-05-2023, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Deliver Mix Sessions to platforms Amazon / Netflix / ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Good way to do it for sure!
I have delivered stuff to dub stages and just sent them a PT session, mixed stems etc. with what was required from me. No more, no less. If they are doing finals there then that's a different ball game. G

G
If you’re delivering music stems to the dub stage for a final mix of a show then this process is not necessary. These are not deliverable requests from the composer. Only for final mix of the show.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If you’re delivering music stems to the dub stage for a final mix of a show then this process is not necessary. These are not deliverable requests from the composer. Only for final mix of the show.
Let me re-phrase this since I was not clear here:

It depends on what my involvement is. In some cases I have had to provide more that just music for example and send whatever they need me to. Sometimes I have done a number of things on the project with my team here and it also might be more elements with prep for the Re-Recording mixer at the stage. I just provide what the job requires, which what I meant to say-:)
Of course if it's music then they tell me what they want. Smart Post, Burbank, CA had me just send a ProTools session for them with everything in the timeline for them to just load in, which they seemed to like it that way and that was for a full length feature. I did not include anything but baked mixes and FX or EQ's that I did for things that I wanted, so that they would not change, but nothing like a master bus with tons of compression that they never want. They do that there.

That's one way it happens, so I just do what they want, but I guess it's a bit off topic here-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 03-20-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:35 AM

Oh wow, interesting read... and slightly alarming too for some reasons (at least to me).

A side question - does anybody know how they handle picture-NLE projects (Avid/Premiere/Resolve projects) and VFX sessions? Are these asked for too?
Old 03-08-2023, 12:02 AM

I have been asked to do this several times over the years. I have always managed to talk my way out of it. Last year however my concerns fell on deaf ears. So I bounced out each track and imported them into a new stripped out session. They were happy and so was I. Also charged for the time to do it.

Years ago a job was pulled from a competitor because they were having issues and the client wasn't happy. They gave me the PT session. It was corrupted and took my whole rig down for a full day.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The frozen or committed track option for Netflix was something I pushed for with with them and that was the compromise
Thanks for the detailed reply. That would be acceptable, but as someone else said I would expect extra money for that amount of faffing about.
Do they want that as well as the already bloated lists of (probably never needed) deliverables?

Quote:
They gave me the PT session. It was corrupted and took my whole rig down for a full day.
I've had that exact same thing happen to me. It took me ages to rebuild the session and it was still haunted right up to the end of the project. It was a relief when it was over.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:03 PM

Pardon my question for newb-ness.

Would anyone share their concern with the potential violation of EULA/IP from Sound Design Libraries by having their available as isolated elements in sessions included as client deliverables?

No sarcasm here. I'm genuinely trying to assess if this is a matter of everyone wanting to do "best practices", or if there has been notable legal action from these Libraries that has people being wary? I'm seeking to understand the scope of this issue so that when it comes up with my peers and clients, I can discuss it properly.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-08-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post

Would anyone share their concern with the potential violation of EULA/IP from Sound Design Libraries by having their available as isolated elements in sessions included as client deliverables?

No sarcasm here. I'm genuinely trying to assess if this is a matter of everyone wanting to do "best practices", or if there has been notable legal action from these Libraries that has people being wary? I'm seeking to understand the scope of this issue so that when it comes up with my peers and clients, I can discuss it properly.
That's not a newb question, when it comes down to technical legalese and actual legal repercussions one might have to face. Literally, a lawyer and courts have been needed in the past for dealing with such issues, and the laws and EULAs of various companies is complex!

But, for example,
If your sample library says "you aren't allowed to share the sample" but the whole, unprocessed sample is available in your session, that's a clear violation to share the session and files.

You can simply tell the client, sorry, my license to this sample (or plug-in, etc) is not transferable. I can give you traditional stems. I cannot legally give you the session.

To me,
They would have to specify up front: "We need the session at the end of project. You must provide the session, therefore all samples must be totally non copyrighted or foley recorded by you. No samples must be used which cannot be shared. Only default factory plug ins can be used. Et cetera." If the client doesn't realize this needs to be in the initial contract and clarified, it would be THEIR bad legal practices.

There is some risk of a sample in a stem being chopped and redistributed illegally, but that's generally considered an acceptable risk, or this issue would be more apparent in the practice of usual stem deliverables.

Also, these clients are guano crazy or drink too much...... Are they seriously going to purchase licenses to ALL my plug-ins, sample libraries, etc, to start working on the session later? Nope!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-08-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post

It's just that it violates their license agreements. They pretty much all state that sounds are to be synchronized, and providing the source session would be distributing the raw unsynchronized sounds. That's how I interpret it anyway.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:20 PM

Correct. Re: SFX libraries. One either created their own and would therefore be intellectual property or one pays to license a library thereby allowing them to use the SFX from that library in a project as heard in the context of that project. It does give them the right to share or distribute the source files with other parties.

Including these files in your mix session as whole files, because it was requested by a network, would violate those terms of agreement. Unless the entity to which you’re giving them to has a license to use the same exact SFX library.

If they’re your own SFX or wholly created sound design elements then the rights to use such sounds only apply to you or any other party you give permission or license to use.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Committing the SFX per track will alleviate the ability for anyone else to pull out individual effects files from the session that originate from the library.

This basically leaves them with your original “mix” session with ability to only change levels per track. Everything else is baked in.
Thanks for your take on it!
Except this method still leaves a mountain of Auxes and signal chains thereof that would remain in the session, which some have argued here includes the intellectual property of the mixers (eg how to to achieve a certain sound). One could either give all that up and pass it on to clients as well as their QC houses to have fun with it ("Who wants to have Skip Lievsays Fuzz chain from Gravity, which I just found in a session I was QC'ing?") or one could strip plugins from all Auxes as well, making the whole session sort of useless as it wouldn't output the mix anymore. I assume the client would be happy with this though, given they will never really use it anyways...

Or did you mean commit any track, even Auxes/Routing folders and so on? I think that would create an insanely large amount of data for a big atmos feature or even series.
I think my go-to order would be:
1. Decline the mix session request due to rights issues
if they kept pushing:
2. Offering stem sessions or just the reverb auto for localization
3. Deliver Mix session with commited audio tracks but all plugins and aux chains stripped