Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-27-2022, 07:52 PM

Default Media Composer 2022.12 Exports Pro Tools Sessions

Anyone regularly working with Avid editors? Most I know don't update quickly but if anyone is able to test this with a willing editor....

I'm not going anywhere near PT 2022.12 yet but this is big news for MC 2022.12. No more AAF faffing about, it will export a PTX file. MC Ultimate and Enterprise only.

The resulting PT Session contains the video track(s), a Cut track (!), and several folder tracks. One for the combined original and Rendered clips (where processing was applied), one for all original clips, and one that only has the Rendered clips. Pretty convenient that they are foldered on creation. They say marker import is improved.

Finally some interoperability
Old 12-27-2022, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Media Composer 2022.12 Exports Pro Tools Sessions

https://youtu.be/OOynReRi0NM - jump to 5.26 for this new feature demonstrated on MC. Looks good, especially the marker integration.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:32 PM

The only video editors on shows that will upgrade to the latest are
online editor/colorists.
They dont make AAFs!!!

The AAFs come from offline editors, and almost all the companies I know still
use MC 2018!! No one wants to upgrade their servers past Isis!!
Old 12-29-2022, 10:30 PM

Exactly why I posted!
Old 12-30-2022, 01:46 PM

Smile Re: Media Composer 2022.12 Exports Pro Tools Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
They dont make AAFs!!!

The AAFs come from offline editors,
Not all of Us

Here I have had forty years editing experience. Thirty of those using Avid. and Pro Tools. Originally every Avid edit taken to Pro Tools here involved batch recapturing original audio into Pro Tools. Hangover from Pre NLE days! Subsequently I was an early up taker of OMF and then AAF's and they became the my workflows.

I have MC2022.12 and Pro Tools 2022.12 installed here and will run a few tests after the New Year celebrations.

Disclosure. In MC I do not manipulate my audio in MC beyond basic cut edits and a track out based on what I know I want for my Pro Tools session.

If some of you want to know if specific layouts and or functions tested let me know and I will try them for you. With ones that work I could supply information on the MC setup used to make it happen. Imagine that video and audio teams able to collaborate to their mutual benefit.

Happy 2023
Andrew
Old 12-31-2022, 10:32 AM

What I was trying to explain, post-production companies here that run 20 to 30 offline editors, on Isis, will not spend the money to upgrade all those MC stations beyond 2018.xx, that entails $$ to upgrade, and $$$ to move from Isis to Nexis.

They dont need to, its only basic editing.
We dont have time to re batch capture audio.

I'll never get an AAF from the online editor, by the time he/she gets their uprez, I have to have a mix almost done!!

So we won't see MC based PT sessions for a long time!!
This is the REAL world of episodic reality show production!!
Old 12-31-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
What I was trying to explain, post-production companies here that run 20 to 30 offline editors, on Isis, will not spend the money to upgrade all those MC stations beyond 2018.xx,
My offer was to folk who may want specific parts of the new Pro Tool session tested. For the record I predominantly edit with 2018.5 as I do not like the newer interface

Quote:
We dont have time to re batch capture audio.
Nor do I! Pre the second to fifth? version of Pro Tools it was the only way possible here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound;I'll never get an AAF from the online editor, by the time he/she gets their uprez, I have to have a mix almost done!![/QUOTE
Great that it works that well for you!

So we won't see MC based PT sessions for a long time!!:
But some testing here could help others decide what and how the new .ptx export could benefit them.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2023, 02:31 PM

I agree with smurfyou, I think this a great move forward for Avid to start moving closer to better integration between MC and PT.
AndrewAction, I don’t have anything specific for you to test but I look forward to reading what you find out.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:58 AM

It sound like a good and long-overdue move,but I hope it doesn't mean that AAF support will get worse in the future, i.e. paths to other DAWs etc..
Old 01-03-2023, 04:19 AM

Even in a ProTools based workflow we'll still need (offline) AAFs (with video and audio tracks) for re-conforms. EDLs carry too limited info for re-conforms and are cumbersome to handle.

AAF will still be essential to survive in film audio post. AVID should add an AAF an EDL export option to that same window so assistant editors can export all needed file types in one pass.