Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Re: How do I transfer my current Pro Tools 12 to my new computer?

I would update PT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Can anyone help me sync Protools to my new iMac?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new iMac, because my old iMac was giving me a lot of problems, it's from like 2010. I'm having issues getting Pro Tools 12 to work on the new iMac.

The new iMac is a macOS Mojave 10.14.4

I know now that Pro Tools 12 isn't supported by Mojave, but it's too late to take this computer back.

Based on that info, do you recommend that I downgrade my MAC OS Mojave 10.14.4 to an earlier version? And if so, which do you recommend to be the best option?

Or do you think it's a better idea to just upgrade my Pro Tools 12 to the newest version of Protools?

If I upgrade to the newest Protools, will it go off sync with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20 interface, and my Presonus Digimax FS Preamp?

Which is the best option, where I can still keep the same interface and preamp?

I have both my iLok, and Avid master accounts.

Thank you all for your time,
Miguel

Last edited by MiguelProTools; 11-09-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help me sync Protools to my new iMac?

Please follow the DUC terms of use and don't post multiple threads for the same issue. That just makes work for other users here needless repeating stuff that already gets covered in other threads.

And you've already been give a *great* answer here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408588

Maybe a mod can merge or delete this thread.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help me sync Protools to my new iMac?

I apologize if I violated any terms, that was not my intention. I did read through and considered all the suggestions from everyone regarding my issue. I looked into all the links that were recommended, but I am still in need of advice. I keep running into one issue after another.

I would appreciate if they can merge this thread with my other thread, instead of deleting it. I just edited the new post with more detailed info to get a better answer in this new thread. Would you know how to resolve my issue Darryl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Please follow the DUC terms of use and don't post multiple threads for the same issue. That just makes work for other users here needless repeating stuff that already gets covered in other threads.

And you've already been give a *great* answer here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408588

Maybe a mod can merge or delete this thread.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:53 PM

You can decide to move to a Pro Tools subscription or purchase a expired license renewal... the later is only available from Avid dealers not from Avid directly. e.g.

That would be something like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

But even better get on the phone and call a Sweetwater rep and make sure that is exactly what you need.

I do not follow why you are asking about "going off sync" there is no reason to think interface sync will work any different with later versions of Pro Tools. Were you having problems before? I just don't even understand why you are going there. You do need to make sure you have drivers for all third party interfaces on the macOS version your iMac is running... like the 18i20... make sure you install the correct drivers for the generation of 18i20 you have. And Forusite have good documentation and a compatibility checker on their website.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:57 PM

*Merged*

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2020, 05:05 PM

Whether you can or can't downgrade your iMac and to what macOS version depends on the exact iMac you have... which you don't tell us. (e.g. Model date code name, model humber, or EMC number, or better all three).

But better still look it up for yourself online. e.g. try here https://everymac.com/systems/by_capa...supported.html

But either way, I would get off Pro Tools 12 onto something from this decade.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:26 PM

Thank you Darryl, I will look into Pro Tools Subscription, call Sweetwater as well, and look up the Focusrite website to make sure of compatibility and drivers.

I had a syncing issue in 2017 because we updated the OS on the old iMac, and my Project Mix IO would not work because it wouldn't sync with the new OS, so I had to buy the 18i20 in order to get everything synced up and working again with the old iMac.

Quote:
You can decide to move to a Pro Tools subscription or purchase a expired license renewal... the later is only available from Avid dealers not from Avid directly. e.g.

That would be something like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

But even better get on the phone and call a Sweetwater rep and make sure that is exactly what you need.

I do not follow why you are asking about "going off sync" there is no reason to think interface sync will work any different with later versions of Pro Tools. Were you having problems before? I just don't even understand why you are going there. You do need to make sure you have drivers for all third party interfaces on the macOS version your iMac is running... like the 18i20... make sure you install the correct drivers for the generation of 18i20 you have. And Forusite have good documentation and a compatibility checker on their website.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelProTools View Post
Thank you Darryl, I will look into Pro Tools Subscription, call Sweetwater as well, and look up the Focusrite website to make sure of compatibility and drivers.

I had a syncing issue in 2017 because we updated the OS on the old iMac, and my Project Mix IO would not work because it wouldn't sync with the new OS, so I had to buy the 18i20 in order to get everything synced up and working again with the old iMac.
You might want to subscribe... which is a monthly or annual fee, and you don't ever have a perpetual license, or you might want to "renew" and get a perpetual license for Pro Tools 2020.x which lets you use the latest version for a year, and you can keep that support/update going in subsequent years. Be very clear with the Sweetwater rep if you will end up with a subscription or perpetual license... and what you want, if unclear ask them to explain. They seem good at training reps on licensing, if your rep seems unclear ask to talk to an expert. Some folks recently buying subscriptions on Avid.com are not happy when they surrender a perpetual license for a discounted subscription and then find out Avid has taken away their perpetual license in that deal.

I have no idea what the "sync" problem was before. "sync" as in clock sync was not working? If you Scarlett interface works OK now it should work exactly as well on the news system (pretty sure the drivers support all the macOS versions you would need).
Old 11-09-2020, 05:55 PM

I just noticed that I kept writing iMac, when I meant to say Macbook Pro.

The new Macbook Pro is a macOS Mojave 10.14.4. I mentioned that in the previous thread, but not in this one.

I will look up that everymac.com link as well.

I upgraded from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 12 in 2017, when the OS was upgraded in the old Macbook Pro. But, I will upgrade again if I have to, it's just tough times, and I have to keep postponing sessions until I get this Macbook going.

I could keep working for now while I figure this out, if I could get the old iMac to turn on. Would you know any quick keys to help me turn it on? It's been charging since yesterday. This has happened before,it ran out of charge so I plugged it in and it turned on eventually, a day or 2 later.

I really appreciate your help Darryl. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Quote:
Whether you can or can't downgrade your iMac and to what macOS version depends on the exact iMac you have... which you don't tell us. (e.g. Model date code name, model humber, or EMC number, or better all three).

But better still look it up for yourself online. e.g. try here https://everymac.com/systems/by_capa...supported.html

But either way, I would get off Pro Tools 12 onto something from this decade.