Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Smoke Not reading Pro Tools Output Waveforms?

Just got a call from a layback facility using Smoke, and they cannot see the waveform of a Pro Tools audio wav outputs (LTRT 2.0 and LCRS 5 mono), although they can hear everything and everything seems in sync when "ear-balling" the 2pop. But they cannot see any waveforms whether it's a stereo or mono file.

I opened the file with non-ProTools programs, and I can see the waveforms. I don't know anything about Smoke, and I never got this complaint before...am I totally missing something?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Smoke Not reading Pro Tools Output Waveforms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Just got a call from a layback facility using Smoke, and they cannot see the waveform of a Pro Tools audio wav outputs (LTRT 2.0 and LCRS 5 mono), although they can hear everything and everything seems in sync when "ear-balling" the 2pop. But they cannot see any waveforms whether it's a stereo or mono file.

I opened the file with non-ProTools programs, and I can see the waveforms. I don't know anything about Smoke, and I never got this complaint before...am I totally missing something?
I would say that sounds like operator error at their end to be honest. You've probably already done this but just in case....have you asked them to put in another audio file just to check whether it's a file from you thing, or a system thing?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM

i asked them to actually import a new file into this new session, but they only opened other sessions, and there are waveforms there.

i flipped through the Smoke manual, and to view waveforms, the preference has to be enabled and toggled in the view menu, so it might be that this new session with the color correct and audio print needs that re-enabled, but i don't know for sure. i also asked them to open the file in any other video/audio program, but i don't think they did yet (we're entering ego land i think).

the producer and layback op are having a go about other issues right now, so all i can do right now is stand by with new prints and be ready to head over there.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Feel for you mate - In this situation i'd suggest to be part of the solution, and when it turns out that their op doesn't know what they're doing you'll get an apology, hopefully! Or at worst you won't be the one with egg on your face.

Edit systems aren't set to view waveform as a standard, they usually open up in block view (in my experience as an Edit Assistant a few years ago anyway)

Unfortunately I've been in this sort of situation before aswell. A lot of the post houses are using juniors to run big edits/sessions because they don't want to/cant afford to pay for experience, but still want to charge the client. I've heard in one particular place (and it's massive!!!) that they even use runners for mixes............ needless to say they lost that particular contract.

Good luck with it
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM

heh, you were spot on.

the operator 1 - had some kind of picture delay offset/latency turned on which caused sync issues (another issue that i didn't mention in my original post). 2 - didn't know how to toggle on waveforms in Smoke so someone else had to come in and do it.

the op kept asking me if my frame rates were set correctly even though he also said there was no timecode grid nor a waveform on his display, and at that point i got the feeling that perhaps he didn't know what was goin on. after the other person got waveforms to show up, the op buckled and said yes, the pop is 1 frame long.

you can't always blame the sound guy.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM

lol, glad it got sorted. Was slightly hoping to have been wrong there as it's all too predictable, but yeah I've had things as bad as the op bringing in the audio and mono ing it, and then calling me to say that my levels are way over. Oh well, just serves as a lesson to the layback facility and the client that they should be laying back from a dub suite in stead of trying to save a few quid. Must have been a reasonably big place if they have a Smoke though......

Did you have to go down there in the end? At least you'd have got to see the red face

Oh and did you get any form of apology?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM

man, i had that happen once too - summed to mono during layback and during the test screening, we got the "everything is distorting out of the center channel...WHY???" call.

Once they figured out the waveforms and why there was some kind of drift, everything was fine. The director is sitting in the theater room and checking back the layback right now. I didn't get to go there and see the red face, and only got an apology from the director for the frantic phone calls.

Yea, I checked out their site, and they have avatar and other "big" clients on there to brag about. I gotta say, they also twice outputted DV versions of the color correct, and the first time they left out the leader/countdown, and the second time they fixed that but gave it at 29.97 and 44.1. all for $100/hour. Wonder if the bigger clients get the same treatment...