Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 AM

Default Pro Tools Certification

I've just started doing my certification program, got through 101 and 110 but now I'm wondering about the training and Version 8. All the training so far has been based around 7.4 which is fine as that's what I have. However, I also have the option, as does everyone, of upgrading to 8 and having seen it running on friends systems and reading some positives on here I'm thinking to upgrade all my systems. I've got the chance to do it in the next couple of weeks as there's some downtime but I don't want to upgrade and get used to 8 then go for 201 etc to find it all on 7 and screengrabs, shortcuts etc to all be different.

Anyone got any thoughts on it?
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Certification

Most shortcuts are the same. My recommendation would be to buy a new hard drive and an external case, clone your present drive to the new one and then swap them out. Now install PT8 on the new drive so you can play with it(I suspect you will really like it and get around fine while you discover the new goodies). If anything goes funky on you, just re-install the old drive and you are right back where you are now with 7.4.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Yeah i thought about partitioning the drive and having a dual boot. Can't take the drive out as I'm only thinking about my macbook at the minute, not ready to change the HD systems as they're running just fine :)
S6 M10
All Mac
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM

I am in the middle of certification as well and I upgraded to 8 right when it came out. The fact of the matter is all of the information you learn is still relevant and completely applies to pt8. Shortcuts haven't changed since way back when so I think you're good to upgrade.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM

I am also in the middle of certification. I've completed 101, 110, 201. I've been holding off on taking the 210 course because I've noticed that the actuall certification is for a particular version of Pro Tools. For instance version 7. I don't want to spend all that money on training and then be certified for an outdated version. You can take a test after you've been certified for V7 to get updated to V8. So I've been holding off for now. I was thinking about calling my instructor to see if the version 8 course is available yet. Another downer is that even if the coursework and text book are updated for version 8, the studio that I go to for training won't update their system to version 8 unless its completly proven to be stable. So I don't want to pay all the $ to be taught using 7.4.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 AM

I didn't know you could do an upgrade exam, I suppose that's pretty useful but DJ A-Ron I can see your point about paying a fortune to be certified inan outdates system, I wonder if they would send out a new v.8 book and let you take the exam for free if you completed the 7.4 training after 8 was released. Kind of a good will gesture, doubtful though.
S6 M10
All Mac
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm certified 7.4 operator for post. See what your school has to offer. Mine paid for the first two attempts at the exam. After that I think it's around a $50 fee for additional attempts. The added features for PT8 aren't too much to handle. IMO an employer probably wouldn't care too much about whether you are certified 7.4 or 8.0 anyway. It's usually a good demo reel they are after.

-Justin
Old 01-22-2009, 05:28 AM

Cheers Walker, good points there. I got the 2 attempts at my exams included too. The school I'm doing mine at are still on 7.4 training so I guess I'll stick with that but if the functionality of v.8 isn't massively different then I guess I could upgrade and be ok. Might wait until a few more cs releases are out, maybe do it in June. It's the shortcut keys and the screen shots in the exams that worry my really. If I upgrade to 8 and get used to the new layout then the screengrabs for v7 would be different but I guess as long as the buttons and icons haven't changed it won't be a problem.
S6 M10
All Mac
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 AM

all of my certifications were done on pro tools 5.1.....many years ago now........ of course i was also working in logic 3 and reason 1.0 at that time. if i could only go back to that time.........i would go to school to be a dentist or something!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10