Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2001, 08:27 AM

Default POD Pro or PSA-1 ?

Are there any of you out there who have had a chance to properly AB these two ?

Is one significantly better than the other?

I am talking about the PSA-1 hardware version, not the Bomfactory plug-in.

I am more concerned with how these two units compare in a live situation sent direct to the PA, mainly soundwise as they both have different advantages features wise....

Any advise would be greatly recieved.

(I'm getting too weak to cart my AC30 around)
Old 09-14-2001, 06:30 PM

Default Re: POD Pro or PSA-1 ?

i'd be interested in purchasing your AC30.
Contact me if you'd sell. [email protected]

My vote goes for the PSA-1, it's a great piece by a great company. I've never been a big Line6 fan(but a lot of people seem to like the pod)
Old 09-15-2001, 01:58 PM

I own both or actually all 3 (PSA-1/pod/pod pro) and would say both have there strong points and would never ever sell either. The PSA-1 was my first amp simulator but has since been placed in the role of Bass di box, and an over glorified di box/sweetner for other sources as well. Running drums through it for example. The SVT patch on it is wonderful and never use anything else. I constantly try other things But I just love the way this patch sounds, slightly modified of course. I have found that I never run dirty guitars through it now that I have the pod. Having a rack with a PSA-1 / POD PRO / BASS POD would be a well rounded amp simulator setup. By the way I have found that personally I like the sound of the original pod running through my apogees for direct recording and the POD pro seems to sound best running through a Marshall rackmount tube head into vintage 30's. I really don't like the sound of the POD pro through it's spidf outs nor it's own analog outs for di recording. From what I have been told it is because of the grittier cheaper converters on the original pod that I find more attractive.

Good luck
KBP
Old 09-15-2001, 06:16 PM

Thank you guys for the opinions.

-BLAKE EAT WORLD - I'm afraid I'm not going to sell the AC30 (It's a 1960 non top boost), it's just too sweet sounding to ever part with.....

I'm still yet to be convinced by rack gear as it doesn't have the R'n'R coolness of a heavy amp, so I may just have to eat more spinach and live with the Vox.

The only reason I was thinking about DI ing the guitar is because the sound is so directional from the AC30 that the Bassist can't hear me in rehearsals.

If I find a lighter combo that I can run a 1x12 ext cab with a good enough sound then maybe I will sell the AC30.

However I am in London, England, so shipping would be expensive...

Anyone heard a Fender Prosonic? Is it any good?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2001, 06:30 PM

Best way to run either POD or the PSA-1 (IMHO)
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Plug guitar into device<LI>Plug device into favorite amp<LI>Bypass device<LI>Play[/list]Sorry but I have had experiences with both these units, as well as the Johnson, and I think they all stink. OK Maybe that's a bit harsh, and they have some sounds that are ok, but they sound like a plug in sounds to recording, it's ok, but it's not the real thing.
Go with plan B, eat more spinach.
Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2001, 01:26 AM

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Plug guitar into device<LI>Plug device into favorite amp<LI>Bypass device<LI>Play[/list][/QB][/QUOTE]

I think you're right!....I had a go on both (limited time I'll admit) and was not impressed by either (although PSA-1 was better).

I'll stick with the combos and try to find a roadie!!

Anyway, those rack units are just not Rock 'n' Roll enough!!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]