Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2001, 11:35 AM

Default Please advise on best setting on Apple Studio Display LCD Flatscreens - going blind!

Er at the moment I have 2 x Studio display flatscreens. they are a knockout with clients, no complaints there + the ability to push em down low on their stands allows us to see over the top of em and make eye contact with performers in our live area...

I will post up the resoulutions later but the higest Hz I can get em to is 75Hz. I am on the 256 colors setting...I like the Mixer window small & the Edit window a little 'blown up'.

Trouble is - we are suffering from eye-strain. I understand LCD's are notorius for this.

Any tips would be gratefully recieved.

Note: one complication - I (had to) use a 3 meter extension cable on each one - that HAS made em a little blury.. Do I really need to do a big spend on a Geffen ExtendIt product just to get em 3 meters away from the computer 'cupboard'?

Beige g3 266

BTW what is a 'digital' monitor connection? Sounds good - how do you do it?

P.S. I will need to upgrade to a G4 soon

TIA

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited April 28, 2001).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-28-2001, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Please advise on best setting on Apple Studio Display LCD Flatscreens - going blind!

I'm sure each flatscreen has its own anomolies, but I have a Princeton 17' with a 25 foot extension on it, and it suffers no quality loss, this of course is a VGA connection.(1280x1024 @256 colors) Also I found it interesting that the suggested scan rate is 60 hz for this one. I always was led to believe higher scan rates are better...but seems that does not hold true for flats..
Old 04-30-2001, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Please advise on best setting on Apple Studio Display LCD Flatscreens - going blind!

I am assuming that both displays are analog and you are using an off the shelf extension cable. For a short run, you shouldn't need a Gefen extend it. I bought a 10M VGA cable last week and it is fine on my analog CRT (22" Mitsubishi Diamondpro 2045 U). The cable uses coaxial cable internally. I don't know if there is any difference between using analog flat panels. My display has a D-Sub connector so I replaced the cable that came in the box with this new one which cost me £12.50 or about $20. The Apple displays already have a permanently connected cable rather than a D-sub so you would be looking at an extension cable if you have one of these monitors. There again I don't know if it makes a difference but the company I bought this from makes good kit so I reckon it would be fine. They are in the UK and are called Josty Links. Guessing you are probably in the US I am sure you can find the equivalent there.
Old 04-30-2001, 06:01 AM

No, I am on the bigger island right next door to you!
Do you have a phone number for em?
TA

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-04-2001, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
... will post up the resoulutions later but the higest Hz I can get em to is 75Hz. I am on the 256 colors setting...I like the Mixer window small & the Edit window a little 'blown up'.

Trouble is - we are suffering from eye-strain. I understand LCD's are notorius for this.

Any tips would be gratefully recieved.
I have read that 60Hz is optimal setting for LCD screens. They don't flicker the way that CRTs do so they don't have to refresh as often. Also I don't think LCDs are notorious for eye-strain. I would say the opposite. I can work on my PowerBook far longer than my desktop before my eyes "bug out." You have to run the monitors at their native resolution (1024x768) or they will look bad. Also the problem is that on the older G3s you have to go through an analog-digital process which makes the image less crisp. The newer macs go directly digital to the studio displays (powerbooks are also fully digital.)
Old 05-05-2001, 12:54 AM

I am also very interested in any solutions for extending the MAC Cinema displays. I want to run it about 15ft but can get no more than 3ft without getting interference (red lines in the black on the screen) I have found the place to get DVI extension cables made but have not found any way other that the Extenit to go farther than a few feet...
[email protected]