Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Native -vs- TDM: Question from Cubase 4 user

Hello All!

I am currently looking into purchasing an HD|2 system(the bundled system with the Control24). I am a Cubase4 user and have used Cubase for years, and still plan on using it for MIDI, but I want a more powerful audio engine. I have a few questions:

1. Is TDM worth it? With the power of native processing rapidly increasing, is it better to go with an LE system and spend the money on a more powerful computer? I read a very interesting post in regards to using TDM and native plugs, and how the voice has to leave/re-enter the TDM environment when non-TDM processing takes place.

2. Which system provides a better "bang for your buck" in terms of stability and performance, a Quad Xeon MacPro running OSX or a Quad Xeon Dell Precision 690 running Win XP Pro? I am currently running Win XP Pro on a 2.8Ghz P4, and am very familiar with Windows. If there is a significant advantage with OSX, I am willing to take the dive.

3. Are the VST wrappers for Protools very buggy, or are they very stable? I currently own alot of VST and VSTi plugs, and would hate to lose all of these tools.

Thanks, in advance, for answering these questions.

-Felix
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Native -vs- TDM: Question from Cubase 4 user

Hey,

1. As far as the question "is it worth it or not" goes, if I were you I'd ask myself "do I need it?" or possibly "will it improve my productions that much?". I think it's impossible for anyone here except yourself to answer that question. I have been researching native vs tdm (and solutions like it) a lot these last few months and have come to the conclusion that it's a whole different animal than just upgrading you processor. I'm really not experienced enough to talk about it (there's much more to read and I don't work on a HD system on a daily basis) but I will refer you to this post.

Yes I know, that's not your system... but make sure you read every post by nikki-k and you will see what I mean when I say it's a whole other animal.

2. I don't know. I have recently switched to Mac and couldn't be happier (with the OS and everything) but I haven't tried those setups.

3. I don't use the wrapper but there are a lot of users and you don't hear much complaints. There have been some issues with poorly written VSTs though..
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Native -vs- TDM: Question from Cubase 4 user

Thanks for the feedback, Stiff!

I will do some more research on the whole TDM -vs- Native topic.